1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

male flowers on cucumber plants

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by madmick, Jun 2, 2012.

1. madmick

madmick Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all I have some male flowers on my cucumber plants should I remove them they are indoor (greenhouse) ones Ive heard that outdoor variety cucs you should leave the male flowers on is this right or will the cucs taste bitter

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,162
    It does depend on the variety. I only ever grown F1 all female cucumbers these days, which just don't produce any male flowers. In the old days when I grew a variety called Telegraph you had to remove the males because once a single fruit got pollinated the whole plant produced bitter fruit and the plant was useless from then onwards.

Outdoor varieties need to be pollinated otherwise they don't produce fruit.

Let us know the variety name Mick :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,613
      Telegraph are the ones I am growing, and I live in hope that I have managed to get all of the male flowers before any fruits got pollinated - I go round them daily and pick off the male flowers, and get plenty of them too!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Worth considering an all-female flowering F1 variety next year - less aggro on the flower-removing-chore :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,995
        I used to grow telegraph as well John, I remember religiously going round each day picking off the male flowers.
        I'm not convinced one fertilised female flower ruined the whole plant though, I was of the understanding it was just the one fruit.
        You could easily tell a fertilised fruit, it was misshapen.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,613
        With hindsight, definitely - again my lack of experience shows :oopss:

Can you recommend any particular variety?

I have to add that I am not at all disappointed, in fact as I am watching at least three more cues appearing, I am constantly amazed that I have managed to give mother nature what is needed to get fruit!

I also have to add, not only on the cucumber front, that I am grateful for the support and advice received on this very forum :)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Nope ... except that ... over the last few years I've grown several different varieties (whatever was cheap at the time ...) and I don't think I could tell one-from-the-other - so any probably as good as each other. The seed is blinking expensive though - at least £1 each - I buy a packet in the 50p-a-packet sale as that is regardless of the original price of the seed :)

Indeed - and you are probably in the greenhouse every day, watering, so unless you have 100's of plants it ain't going to be THAT big of a chore!

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,613
          Its even easier for me at the moment, as all six plants are still standing down by the French doors at the back of the living room! Until our new fences go up, I cannot plant out my border plants, and until they go out I don't have room for the cucumbers.

The good bit of that is that I get to watch the cues growing pretty much all the time. :)