MALLING LEO

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by MICK FORD, Feb 14, 2006.

1. MICK FORD

MICK FORD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all
    i have some Malling leo raspberry canes , can any one help by telling me how to look after them please :confused: , hope to put them in this weekend [​IMG]
    mick

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  3. rossco

rossco Gardener

head gardener/estate manager
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Mick,
    Malling leo late august september fruiting, heavy cropper, good flavour,resistant to aphids.
    dig out a trench long enough to plant them about a foot apart, put well rotted manure/compost in bottom, plant using the soil taken out from trench, they will need supports, i put posts either end of trench + one in middle, if oyur trench is longer than 12 feet then put 4 posts in.
    put 3 wires along, one 2 feet up, the next 4 feet up, one across top.
    as the canes grow tie then in to the wires.
    the first year of grow will not produce much in the way of fruit, in fact what you really should do is remove the blossom in the first year to increase the vigour of the canes.
    these first year growth canes are what will provide your fruit for the following year.
    in the autumn, check all the canes are tied in verticle and trim tops so the canes are an even height along the row.
    during year 2 these cane will provide you with plenty of fruit, you will get new cane growth coming from the bottom, tie these in as you did for the first year.
    In the autumn, cut down the fruited canes which will have turned brownish to the ground, leaving the new canes in place. manure (well rotted) now each autumn. now just repeat each year.
    If you have room try getting some autumn fruiting canes a variety called 'ZEVA' are very good.
    these you treat slightly different, plant as you did for the Leo, except that after they have fruited in the autumn, which they should do the first year but not heavily, leave the canes for a few weeks, then you cut the whole lot to the ground, then repeat as before.
    hope this was helpfull
    Paul

4. MICK FORD

MICK FORD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers rossco & steve w , after seeing the photo on that web site can hardly wait to get my lips round some berrys :cool: :D