1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Malus tree disease / pest help please!!!

Discussion in 'Trees' started by G_MCD, May 25, 2015.

1. G_MCD

G_MCD Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I have a young Malus 'Red Sentinal' tree that has been planted for 2-3 months. I have recently noticed brown edges and holes in the leaves. Also noticed some small green insects on the leaves. Please can you again advise on what this might be and how to prevent it?

Please see picture attached.

Thanks.

20150525_170829.jpg

2. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Hi @G_MCD .

I was browsing through the tree section of the forum, and noticed that no one has responded to your question. How does your tree look now? I am assuming that the brown bits look browner, but that there are not noticeably more brown bits on the leaves?

The green insects you describe, are they aphids? If you have birds in your garden, especially tits, they will be delighted to remove these insects to feed their young. As they hang upside down from the leaves to find this for source, they can slightly crease or tear the leaves, especially when the leaves are young and relatively soft. This can result in superficial scarring on the leaves.

I hope this helps?