1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

March 1st. - yippee.

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sarraceniac, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Well I've done it. Thanks to the g.house, and the fact that the new kitchen is finished, I've done a major plant-up of seeds this a.m.

8 kinds of tomatoes. Cream sausage, Black cherry, Red Zebra, Green Zebra, Cherokee purple, Striped Roman, Moldovan Green and our favourite for everyday - Marmande.

Cucumber - crystal lemon because we don't like cucumber much and use it for just decoration. (Trendy in this house).

California Sweet peppers.

Chillis - Rocoto Orange, Hot Banana, Cayenne, Jalapeno, Congo Black, Aji Rojo, Scotch Bonnet, Habanero Orange, Tepin, Tabasco and Big Jim. I got the seed before I got I.B.S and Boss lady is not mad on spicy food so goodness knows who is going to eat them. Christmas presents perhaps? :D

I pricked out my perennial sweet peas and potted them up. Fortunately they can stay in the g.house.

Planted some Datura seed that I found in a drawer(?????)

Planted the true lily seeds that some-one gave me.

Everything but the lilies and s. peas is in the house because there is not enough room in the propagator so I am hoping the lilies grow by tomorrow so I can give them to you know who as a peace offering for Mother's Day. Otherwise I'll [​IMG]have to spend money (again).

2. Agaveman

Agaveman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like a busy morning John.

Thanks for the cycads by the way. I potted them up this morning and they all arrived intact.

A dozen or so A.montana, a.harvardiana & a.cupreata seeds on their way to you.

3. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Steve. Look forward. Yes a very busy morning.

4. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good grief Sarraceniac you have been busy i have bought my strawberrys inside and planted 4 pots of spuds up today thats about it apart from im just going to put some sticks in my cucs and toms as they are coming on now

you put me to shame but then again i have 28 pots of
    toms
    cucumbers
    chillis
    peppers
    peas
    melons (could'nt wait till april)

and i decided to start my colus off they are all growing happy on my dinning table :D

my other halfs not impressed though [​IMG]

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Well done John and Cattwoman. I thought there might have been a few busy people today. Christopher Lloyd always said 1st March - so who am I to disagree.

I sowed some biennials today (including perennials to be treated as biennials). The plan is to get a first shift of flowers from them next year to be replaced by a second shift of late perennials such as Dahlias, and a number of differant Salvias etc. Sowed today were Campanula medium (Canterbury Bells), Foxgloves, Salvia sclarea (Sclary), Lupins (Christopher Lloyd used to grow them as biennials as they look a mess after flowering and can't be moved), Wallflowers, Hesperis matronalis (Sweet Rocker), Penstemon and Hollyhocks.

Then some annuals ( or to be treated as annuals), Verbena rigida, Cosmos, Anagalis, Atriplex hortensis (I might regret this one - it seeds and seeds), Agastache mexicana, Salvia coccinea (pink) and Salvia viridis (annual Sclary - blue).

And then a few perennials. Veronicastrum virginicum. Dierama pendulum, Gaura linderheimeri, Stachys macrantha, Thalictrum aquilegiifolium, Lychnis chalcedonica, Erigeron, Liatris and some Dictamnus (courtesy of Kedo-Gato) and a few a bit more obscure, Calamintha ascendens, Rhodiola kirilovii, Scutellaria zhongdeiansis, Sutherlandis frutescens and Calandrinia grandilfora.

I also sowed 2 varieties of Lepechinia and 6 varieties of Salvia on wet paper towels sealed in a polythene bag. I just can't get any of these to germinate the normal way in my light box - so I am trying another approach.

6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Salvia divinorum in there Peter? :D

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    It's quite legal John, but it likes a very hot and humid atmosphere and its virtually impossible to get it to flower. So I will just have to put up with my old Cannabis sativa flowers again this year. :D

8. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Spring is here. Just noticed today that my Eremurus robusta is like this:

[​IMG]

Last year (it's first) it grew to this (the fence is 6 foot)

[​IMG]

and it grew from this

[​IMG]

Who said gardening is boring?

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Oh and the little one is a tulip bulb, for scale.

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    That Eremurus is brilliant John. I have always wanted to grow that, but have been wary about its roots that mustn't be disturbed - I am always digging about things.

I have just had a look at my seeds after two days, Wallflowers, Hollyhocks, Dictamnus are Salvia viridis (annual Sclary) have already started to germinate.

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,909
    Yeah, like the eremurus John [​IMG]

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Peter, the Eremurus is one of my favourite 'weird' flowers. You are right about leaving it alone. But it is worth it. I hope it does a bit better this year, or next year even. I'll leave it alone and keep you informed.

13. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,469
    Sown today.
    Pelargonium (Geranium) Quicksilver
    Pelargonium (Geranium) Black Velvet
    Echinacea Purpurea Deep Rose
    Echinacea White
    Gazania Kiss Mixed

14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Strongy, are those for you or for work? Echinacea isn't going to flower much this year is it? And how big will Pelargoniums get from seed in a year? - I presume they are both zonals.

15. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Oh! and John - I like 'weird' - thats why is appreciate your sense of humour so much! :eek: