1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Marestail

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sigord, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Sigord

Sigord Gardener

Formerly Registraion Clerk
    Ratings:
    +86
    Back to my old chestnut of how to kill this which seems prevalent in seaside towns like here in Hastings.

I heard on the radio to overcome the wax covering protection of Marestail preventing weed killers working, to try mixing the weed killer with Wallpaper Paste hoping to make it stick to the weed.

What do you think?

Gordon

http://www.sigord.co.uk

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,055
    Whereabouts are they growing?

Worst case, in a border amongst other plants I'd say bruise the stems then coat in glyphosphate carefully, maybe use a poly bag to prevent accidental application to your precious flowers!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      You could try Ammonium sulphamate (sold by Dax as a compost heap accelerator). I find that is very effective on Marestail. I also stamp on them with my wellies, to bruise them as JWK says, as a prelude to spraying with Glyphosate.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Ha! "Seaside town" and mares tail!!

I cannot eradicate mine ... my neighbour boasts of how full his garden is with this :gaah: :wallbanging: (and lo and behold ... my garden is now "flourishing"!)

• Sigord

Sigord Gardener

Formerly Registraion Clerk
        Ratings:
        +86
        Mine is only at the front so far, with the concrete paths preventing it growing in the back garden. It came in from the neighbour who thinks he has removed his with bleach. Now it is Autumn it will die down until next spring.

In one nearby garden it has grown high enough as a shrub.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,055
        Oh dear that sounds bad Sigord, bleach won't affect it but with the natural die-back over winter your neighbour might think it has done the job.

The best you can do is to keep vigilant to ensure it doesn't get through into your back garden.

• AndrewBarratt

AndrewBarratt Gardener

Ratings:
        +55
        I have it in my garden, I used to wage war against it every summer, pulling it, spraying it and anything else I could think of. Now I live and let live; in my lawns it has no chance due to the frequent mowing, in the borders (which are fully planted) I get the odd one poking up. By and large the more you cultivate the soli the less they like it conversely the more you fight them the more you notice them. They survived the dinasaurs and everything since so my advice would be to save your energy and your money plus save the soil from the toxins and live with them - you'll be surprised how quickly they recede once you cultivate the area

• Like Like x 1