Marigolds as a Snail/Slug deterrent!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Jackcat, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Jackcat

Jackcat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A friend has given me 20 marigolds saying they will distract the snails and slugs away from my other plants. Should I plant them scattered around the beds, or all in the same place? TIA

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    AS a deterrent? :scratch: I always found that marigolds where a favourite on the slug menu. Those I planted one day were just stumps the next. Didn't last long enough to deter a gnat! They were just a starter on their way to the main course!

I love marigolds but I had to give up on them.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,279
    Hi Jackcat I think your friend means companion planting,but I think He/She with the best will in the world is getting a little confused:)

(One down side is that marigolds do attract spider mites and slugs.)

Grow French marigolds among tomatoes. Marigolds emit a strong odour that will repel greenfly and blackfly.

Grow sage with carrots or plants in the cabbage family to ward off pests. Both have strong scents that drive away each other's pests.

Plant nasturtium with cabbages - they're a magnet for caterpillars that will then leave the cabbages alone.

Garlic planted among roses will ward off aphids.

Plant carrots and leeks together on the allotment or vegetable patch to protect against a number of pests. Leeks repel carrot fly and carrots repel onion fly and leek moth.

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Hi Jackcat. Yes Marigolds can be used as a sacrificial crop among other plants for slugs and snails - they just love them.
    The theory is the marigolds will be eaten in preference to your babies.
    Plant the marigolds in little clumps close to the plants you want to protect.
    Expect the slugs to eat them.
    I wouldn't depend on the method alone - but at least it will let you see if slugs are about.

5. Jackcat

Jackcat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've planted 'em today, and not put any blue stuff down, and will be out there with a torch shortly to see what's going on!

6. Osbaldwick

Osbaldwick Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think you might expect a slug party. We also have a problem with blackbirds picking at marigolds. You might consider the marigolds "sacrificial" but the problem is that one the slugs etc are attracted to the area, they could well see what else is around......

7. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    If you can find anything that will deter slugs then I will buy a hundred of them lol. As Osbaldwick says they are sacrificial rather than a deterrent, and it is better then nothing.

8. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have French marigolds in pots, about 8 of them, just dotted around the greenhouse. They make the greenhouse look pretty and their pungent smell ( I dont dislike it ) helps deter aphids from the tomatoes they are guarding :skp: