1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Marigolds, Whitefly and Tomatoes ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ricky101, Jul 26, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,201
    Hi,

Have often put some potted Marigolds on or near our tubs of Tomatoes to help ward off Whitefly and Aphids, though often saw some of them fly onto the Marigolds when we picked the toms.

On Gardeners World last Friday there was a clip where it was said the Marigolds have to be planted into the same compost by the side of the Tomato plant, suggesting it passed something via is roots rather than any 'smell' from the Marigold ?

So does that method really work and if we just have potted Marigold in the greenhouse in an attempt to keep down Whitefly etc. are we just wasting our time or possibly attracting more Aphids in the process ?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,642
    I saw that.
    Can only say I've not seen white fly in 10 yrs.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,499
      Marigolds? different types, I sow and plant Tagetes in pots and place in the greenhouse along side my tomatoes, No white fly, seed cheap too!

• Like Like x 1
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,201
        Just seen a pic in Garden News and they had also planted them in the same pot as the toms.

Perhaps our whitefly do not know about Marigolds/ Tagetes , we have used both in the past and neither effective when in their own pots...?? :sad:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,409
        I used to see whitefly on both dwarf french marigold and tagetes when growng them (by the 1,000s) in the past for the Parks Dept. So I have never bothered planting them next to toms.

• Informative Informative x 3
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,201
          Re @strongylodon , think its time free up the bench space to put the Marigolds into the borders !

Did a greenhouse clean up the other week and been spraying all the plants, mainly Fuchsias, with SB Plant Invigorator to try and rid the Whitefly and a Spider Mite outbreak.

Always a bit suspicious of such products, but it seems to be working, though the sceptic in me wonders if plain water would have the same effect ..:what:

• Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +823
          Planted French marigolds next to tomatoes, with some lettuce seedlings. White fly having a laugh and a slug got in somehow and had lettuce and started on marigolds!
          Don't use slug pellets outside as my birds (!) love any sort of pellet despite colour and taste!
          Tried the wasp biological control for the whitefly but had cold spells which killed them! Now using pyrethrum again, and shouting Druid curses!

• Funny Funny x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +14,305
            I've always grown tagetes in the polytunnel with the toms, until this year when they didn't self-seed. It's the first year that I've had whitefly in there. So a firm believer here :biggrin:
            Some plants do release chemicals via their roots to dissuade competition from other plants, so perhaps it's the same principle?

• Glynne Williams

Glynne Williams Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +823
            Not read the scientific stuff yet but old habits die hard! Hope your setup works!