1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Massive Basjoo in flower.. Manchester

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Pebo, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Pebo

Pebo Gardener

Ratings:
    +47
    Today I was trundling past a house just around the corner from me and spotted a huuuuge Basjoo clump in the front garden. The main one I'd estimate at between 15-20 feet tall, and in flower so I couldn't resist knocking on the door to find out it's story.

The garden belongs to an asian lady, and her broken English wasn't easy to understand although I think I heard well enough to relate what she say's about it.

My first obvious question was regarding overwintering and here's where I got the surprise. She doesn't do anything at all with the Basjoo or its 4 mature pups!. She said she just leaves everything as is and although they die off they come back into growth the following year. She estimated the clump to be around 8 to 9 years old (So they got through 2010 somehow) so here's my question.. Given that Manchester is hardly way up there with the likes of Torquay etc weather wise is it really possible that this clump has died back to root level last winter and still attained such a huge height this summer?, or do Basjoo's reach a point in their maturity whereby they can resist the frost enough to maintain an amount of stem before coming back into growth the following spring???

I didn't have my phone with me today unfortunately, but I'll certainly call back in a day or two and ask if I can take a few photo's.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    I've seen two massive Basjoos flowering outdoors this year, not mine sadly. Both were given winter protection, wrapped in fleece and packed with a straw cage. Down here in Surrey fi they aren't protected they will get cut down to the ground so I can only assume there is a micro-climate up there keeping the worst of the cold away.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,697
    up until 2009 I never protected my basjoos, and they quite often flowered.
    Then we had, I think, a run of 3 cold winters when they got cut to the ground, I've never seen one go from the ground, to flowering, in one season.

The last two years I've protected mine, but I dont think I really needed to, as the winters have been mild.
    Once the stems reach a certain thickness they do become hardier, as the old leaf stems protect the new inner ones to some extent.

Its a gamble, but if you dont protect you can easily get caught out.

• Like Like x 2
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,697
      I'd say minus 5C is the point where established stems die, but that's just my reckoning.

• Pebo

Pebo Gardener

Ratings:
      +47
      I see. Well I'd loosely estimate the stem at between 5 and 6 inches, so Maybe they got cut down and grew to the present height over the last couple of years.

• pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,697
      My thoughts are that a stem of that size is unlikely to have grown from the ground this year

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1