1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Bargain Masterplug weatherproof plug enclosure £9.99 at Homebase

Discussion in 'Freebies, Offers & Bargains' started by Scrungee, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homeba...th-4-socket-8-metre-10a-extension-lead-395422

Comes with an 8m 4 gang extension lead, £20 at most other places and a whopping £40 at Tesco instore.

I've had one for some time, and have just bought a second as I have 5 electric propagators in my greenhouse + 2 growlights + a radio controlled light and it works a lot better with separate boxes on the staging each side, avoiding cables draped across central pathway getting dangerously close to my propane gas heater.

plug box.PNG

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
      Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,168
      This is a very good deal, I have a couple around the garden and paid around £20 for them.

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I have one to house the tree fairy lights tranformer/control , out of the way of meddling Molly. Just wish they did them in more subtle colours rather than brilliant white. Its a bit of an eyesore when the foliage dies back . Painting plastic is not an option as it very soon starts to flake , I'll have to try locating it with a bit more thought.

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,168
      The two I've got are grey, now you mention the white I recall i could have got an Orange coloured one for £5 less - I was tempted but resisted - even in my greenhouse it would have been an eyesore.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      :scratch: Stoopid Question Time: How do they work/how do you use them? :dunno:

It's only a bargain if I know what to do with it :redface:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,997
      It protects up to 4 plugs (more if adapters used) together with any timers from wet, having a rubber seal all around the lid and rubber gaskets around cable entries, making them useful when using stuff like lights, propagators, fan heaters, etc. in a greenhouse, or for protecting plugs, transformers, timers and controllers for external lighting.

It's a much safer option that some methods I've seen used such as covering plugs/sockets in plastic bags or DIY efforts made from 'Tupperware' boxes and plastic biscuit boxes. For added protection I place an inverted (seed tray size) gravel tray over the box, the ones Wilkos sell are exactly the right size.

elec box.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Thank you @Scrungee - I can see now why it is a bargain and ....

... why I *must* get one :dbgrtmb: (I've been dreaming of outside lights :wub2: )

Now, I assume I would need to drill a hole in the wall so that the plug from that unit could be plugged in indoors? Or do I have to have a unit of some sort fitted by an electrician outside for it to be plugged into? :scratch:

• Scrungee

Ratings:
        +28,997
        I installed my garden/shed/garage/greenhouse electrics before it became subject to Building Regs so haven't examined them in detail, but basically anything other that temporary needs to be done either by a qualified electrician (so that £10 saving will be miniscule compared to what they'll charge), and if you want a DIY installation it will need to be checked in advance and again after installation and again involve a load of costs. As for extension leads and 'temporary' connections I think there's a school of thought that might not be temporary if essentially fixed in place by running through a wall. And then you'll get some people tell you that standard extension leads shouldn't be left outside for any length of time (I've got one of these that I use in my garden and snapped it up when on special offer at £13.99 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-HLP2013-2IP-Outdoor-Weatherproof/dp/B004R255VQ )

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Thank you (again) @Scrungee very helpful and informative :thumbsup: