1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Material for Earthing-Up Container Potatoes

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Kristen, May 16, 2009.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I have a some Potatoes in containers - 3 Marshalls gro-sacks and 3 huge pots; about 3 tubers per container.

[​IMG]
    20 April 2009

[​IMG]
    10 May 2009

I put well-rotted manure in the bottom couple of inches, then multi purpose compost, in which the tubers were planted.

They were planted very late (bit of a this-year-experiment so that I can be better prepared for next year) but the tops are now well out of the containers, and need earthing up.

I could earth-up with my own compost (which is a bit rough, and quite a lot of "straw" - it was mostly made from hay cut last year) or multi purpose compost - but that seems a bit extravagant? (I'll need between 75L and 150L I reckon, so between £3 and £6 for 18 "plants")

And then what do I do with the compost? Clearly not good for potatoes next year (unless I can sterilise? How?). My plan was to grow carrots in containers with the spent Potato compost next year - mix it with up to 50% sharp sand I reckon. Perhaps I can grow more than one crop of carrots with that compost?

Then recycle the compost onto the veg beds. My Potatoes and Roots are in separate rotation zones, but I could introduce the compost back at the equivalent point in the rotation - so where Carrots were "last year" and where Potatoes were "two years ago". Or I could just use it to pot on plants into larger containers - for eample, I grow some trees from seed. Many of the ones I grew from seed last year are 2M tall (which surprised me!) and are in deep rose pots - about 6" Dia x 9" deep - and this year need to go into pots that are 12" Dia - which could use up quite a lot of compost.

I could also cycle the Potato-then-Carrot compost through the tubs and urns for another year before it goes to its final destination.

Keeping it all segregated is going to be a bit of a pain, but growing carrots in the soil is very hit and miss for me - heavy clay, rain comes at the wrong time and the crop doesn't come to harvest when I would like it, and so on. The potatoes should give me an early start to the crop - so I think it is worth doing.

Your thoughts on a forum-reply-postcard pls!

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,161
    I've been using soil in my potato containers to top/earth up. Its just too expensive to buy compost, so I'm topping up with soil from where my marrows/pumpkins grew last year. It sounds like your rough home made compost is not ready yet, I'd only use that it in small quantities.

Following on with carrots with be OK in your containers (they would not like that rough home made compost either). I can't see any problem with tipping the spent material from the containers into your veg beds after that and I would not worry about the rotation plan, I think its just too difficult to maintain a rotation plan with containers, after all its only a small quantity of material. You might have to change your mind if the potatoes develop any pests or diseases though.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Thanks John, reassuring as always.

"You might have to change your mind if the potatoes develop any pests or diseases though"

So, just to make sure I've got that, if it turns out to be a disaster you'd like me to tell you so you can do yours differently? :D :D :D

4. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Ermmmm-I won't openly admit it, but he's got the right idea Kristen lol.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I was baulking at paying for bagged compost, but soil I have! and mixed with the compost already in the pots (which I suppose will eventually become about 50:50) should be fine for Carrots next.