1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mature Comice Pear Tree Struggling

Discussion in 'Trees' started by MAJ, Jan 29, 2019.

1. MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
    +28
    This mature pear tree is struggling. It does blossom; it produced a good crop until 2015, has gone downhill, then this year had very tiny pears. It's probably a Comice pear tree.

Is it worth creating a circle in the lawn and fertilising and mulching and making sure it gets more water? Comice seems to need pollinators, so could that be it?

It's too big for me to prune and I'm not experienced enough anyway to rejuvenate it over a few years. I think the owners had tree surgeons in at some point, but not sure they've done a great job.

It also had some sort of fungi at the bottom in the autumn,which they Pear tree.jpg Pear tree (2).jpg removed.

Any advice welcome. Thank you.

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Yes, Comice does need a pollinator.

Pear trees may be growing locally and be sufficient to pollinate your tree MAJ but I wonder if they, or some of, them have been removed recently?

It doesnt look well pruned either, looks congested and prob producing very little fruit bearing wood .....Doyenne du Comice is a spur bearer meaning it produces its fruit on short spurs.

If mine, I would look to pruning so could you get a local expert to do this?
    I would look to reduce both height and congestion MAJ and thereafter summer prune :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
      Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
    • MAJ

MAJ Gardener

Ratings:
      +28
      Thanks @Verdun . Yes, that's what I thought really. Is it worth fertilising and mulching around base, or is it pointless without the pruning (I'd imagine...)? They seem a bit reluctant to have a tree surgeon for some reason. Also, do mature trees even need fertiliser - or are roots too deep anyway?

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Hello MAJ :)
      I am a great believer in mulching. I am currently mulching my own garden and apply it thickly and generously and this is what I would do in your case.
      A fertiliser would not hurt....if you decide to do this I would use fish blood and bone and topped with a thick mulch. You could make a good mulch with mpc mixed with dried manure :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1