1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Max Slope?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fred88, Jul 30, 2021.

1. fred88

fred88 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    We are going to introduce a bed across our front garden. Its currently gravel. Dims are roughly 8m x 2m. In the 2m direction there is a fall of about 300mm, slightly less probably. Is that too much? If so I can take some of the slope out using sleepers, what should I reduce it too?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,332
    Hello fred88, if you've got the choice and a clean slate, go for level! IME it's so much easier to water effectively if it's not trickling off down a slope. It will also give you a good depth of soil which I'm sure the plants will appreciate.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,140
      12 degrees isn't much of a slope, less than my garden. I quite like having a slope to add interest.

• Like Like x 1
      • fred88

fred88 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +4
        Level would be nice but we don't want to have a terraced garden to the that extent. So is 12 degrees ok, maintainable etc?

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,140
        Where does the slope end? You might want to put something across to stop soil working it's way down onto a footpath.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,933
        I'd be inclined, sorry about the pun, to keep the slope dig it over incorporating some of the gravel and plant it up with drought tolerant plants, mostly low growing and spreading to hold the soil in place.

• Like Like x 1