1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

May Garden Colour

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fran, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Now the flowering season really starts to motor in my clay garden in middle england.

[​IMG]

Iris Sibirca Blue - very different from the bearded iris. Clump forming with narrow leaves and this spectacular flower, comes in white too.Great for a herbacious border, and so far has done well for three years. Needs to be kept moist, but will do in dappled shade

[​IMG]

Meconopsis Cambrica - the welsh poppy, not to be confused with other poppies whether oriental, or field. Same family as the lovely blue of the Hymalayan poppy. Seed was given to me by a friend and it took a couple of years to establish - but now its self seeding happily. Some have proved to be perrennial on occassions, but treat as an annual, and let it self seed. I got yellow and orange, both I love. It may be better starting in ericaceous compost, but is doing fine now in my clay - prefers full sun

[​IMG]

Aquilegia - the most promiscuous of plants.Mostly the flowers hang down - UK wild flower variety is "granny's bonnet" a blue flower with spurs from the back of the flower. But the range is large as is the colour. These are sports/crosses that grew from self seed in my garden, but not unusual. Well worth garden room - not fussy about its soil - and will do in partial shade and sun

[​IMG]

This lilac was here close to the house when I moved in - and each May I get this display. Come autumn, its alive with blue tits harvesting the seed. Loved by wildlife (including thos nesting in the ivy round its base) lilac again has a range of colours, and if you keep on top of its tendancy to sucker - wonderful. Not fussy about its soil etc.

Now lets see our other members May bloomers.

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Ooooh! Fran - what spectacular pics! I quite gasped when I saw the iris. I've been trying to grow iris for ages but always put their failure down to that heavy clay soil I have. How do you manage to get them so vibrant?

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,900
    [​IMG]
    Osteospermum of the hardier type.
    [​IMG]
    Laburnum
    [​IMG]
    California poppy. (Eschscholtzia)

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Beautiful pictures Pete,

Michaelmas Daisy - glad you like them, iris grow fine in clay especially the bearded iris. Prefer the sunny sites, especially the bearded ones that need sun on the rhyzomme.

[ 16. September 2005, 09:04 PM: Message edited by: Fran ]

5. petal

petal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's a few around my garden taken in May this year. I don't know the varieties of the clematis but they were real showstoppers. As with all the bobby dazzlers they were fleeting so I'm pleased I have the pictures as memories of their glory.
    The hawthorn flower is really pretty and I had to take a picture. Hawthorn is a real bonus shrub, excellent for hedging if you have room. It is ideal for encouraging birds to the garden - they feast on the berries and love the dense foliage for nesting. A real native joy. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]