1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mediteranean ground cover

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SteveW, Feb 7, 2005.

1. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    carrying on from the cacti thread, thought it better to start a new thread as its drifted from cacti

There is also a plant used in landscaping around pools patios cafe gardens etc in the balearics and canaries that I would like to indentify

it is spreading, has small triangle shaped glossy green leaves a bit succulent and forms trailing stems and covers areas around bottom of hedges and fences sort of mat like cover, the flowers are daisyish usually red, like mesembs but much smaller...this too must have got attached to my sock and now looks good tumbling out of chimney pots or containers..its not hardy here (I usually take a stock plant indoors for winter) but so far this year has survived in a few places outside

perhaps at the weekend I'll try and upload a pic and also one of the bean tree (when in leaf as its decidious)

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Steve
    Aptenia cordifolia springs to mind. I grew it for a few years. I didn't find it hardy either but this year who knows, it has been very mild up to now.

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Spot on, Thanks Pete

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week066.shtml

It gives it as frost tollerant to -5 which sounds about right as we haven't had any deep prolonged frosts so far

I'll have to go write that down

cheers

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Thats a good web site. How do you find them so quick.

5. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I always use google and just type in the plants name and see what comes up...in this case it was as below...which is the first 10 pages of 4,730!
    The web amazes me, its just a massive massive library

Aptenia cordifolia (& other species) - mediterranean climate ...
    Aptenia cordifolia (Lf) Schwantes Mesembryanthemaceae or Azioaceae Baby Sun Rose,
    Heartleaf Ice Plant, Hearts & Flowers Brakvygie (Afrikans) Endemic to the ...
    www.mediterraneangardensociety.org/ plants/Aptenia.cordifolia.cfm - 11k - Cached - Similar pages

Aptenia cordifolia - Baby Sun Rose - Aizoaceae
    Aptenia cordifolia - Baby Sun Rose Aizoaceae. Aptenia cordifolia is native
    to the Eastern Coastal Plains of South Africa. This charming ...
    www.plantoftheweek.org/week066.shtml - 34k - Cached - Similar pages

Aptenia cordifolia (Aizoaceae) - Plants of Hawaii: THUMBNAIL ...
    This page contains links to images of Aptenia cordifolia (family: Aizoaceae) (Rock
    rose). ... More images of Aptenia cordifolia on the web [ Google ] [ AltaVista ]. ...
    www.hear.org/starr/hiplants/ images/thumbnails/html/aptenia_cordifolia.htm - 4k - 7 Feb 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF] Aptenia cordifolia
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    ... Fact Sheet FPS-47 October, 1999 Aptenia cordifolia 1 Edward F. Gilman 2 Introduction ...
    Page 2. Aptenia cordifolia -- Baby Sunrose Page 2 October 1999 ...
    hort.ifas.ufl.edu/shrubs/APTCORA.PDF - Similar pages

<i>Aptenia cordifolia</i>
    California Invasive Plant Council header. Aptenia cordifolia. Scientific name,
    Aptenia cordifolia. Additional name information: (Lf) NE Brown. ...
    ucce.ucdavis.edu/datastore/detailreport. cfm?usernumber=6&surveynumber=182 - 13k - Cached - Similar pages

Aptenia cordifolia {Aizoaceae} #200100033 L:1313 Q:1
    Link to EEB Departmental Homepage Ecology & Evolutionary Biology Conservatory.
    General Information: Aptenia cordifolia (Lf) NE Br. ...
    florawww.eeb.uconn.edu/acc_num/200100033.html - 24k - Cached - Similar pages

Plant Profile for Aptenia cordifolia (heartleaf iceplant)
    Aptenia cordifolia (Lf) Schwant. heartleaf iceplant. ... US Nativity: Introduced.
    Printer-Friendly Profile of Aptenia cordifolia Printer-Friendly Version. ...
    plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=APCO - 32k - 7 Feb 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

Cheap Aptenia Cordifolia at Auction!
    Aptenia Cordifolia. Aptenia Cordifolia at SearchingForThings.com. Get the
    auction prices on Aptenia Cordifolia - Lowest anywhere. ...
    www.searchingforthings.com/9330/1041313578.php - 8k - Cached - Similar pages

Controlling Oxalis weed in Aptenia cordifolia (Hearts & Flowers)
    ... Controlling Oxalis weed in Aptenia cordifolia (Hearts & Flowers). ... Follow-Up Postings:
    RE: Controlling Oxalis weed in Aptenia cordifolia (Hearts & Flowe. ...
    forums.gardenweb.com/forums/ load/weeds/msg1114011910965.html - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Aptenia cordifolia, a small illustrated monograph.
    APTENIA CORDIFOLIA a small illustrated monograph. WALTER DIONI Durango
    (Dgo) Mexico. INTRODUCTION. My very small tropical garden is ...
    www.microscopy-uk.net/mag/artaug04/wdaptenia.html - 49k - Cached - Similar pages

6. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Steve,

A massive Massive library that fits in the corner of your room ;) !

Nathan.

ps to have a picture appear straight on this site (without a clickable link) put [​IMG] at the end of the url.

7. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,016
    Yeah there certainly is a lot of information out there.