1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mediterranean Gardening Books

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave_In_His_Garden, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Morning All,

With the year moving on, I am going to start preperation on my patio soon - we are looking for a med theme (our favourite part of the world!) for this and quite a lot of the rest of the garden and I was wondering if anyone had any good books they could recommend on the subject - particularly with an eye to compatibility with the British climate ;)

There are quite a few on Amazon etc, but very few reviews so I thought I'd see if anyone has any opinions? :cool:

Cheers,

Dave

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Maybe this one is a bit the wrong way round, if you see what I mean - but I think it's worth a look for ideas - it's cheap! the RHS DK paperback - Drought-resistant gardening. 0751306975

3. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave
    Your question is a very complicated one. Every opinion on "Meddy" seams to be different from every other. All the usual gardening mags have blue painted wood in their "med" gardens. I have never seen blue painted wood round the med, so it's horses for courses. Look at books on exotic plants, large foliage plants, or very colourful plants, and pick your personal selection that creates the Med "Feel" that you want. Browse in the larger garden centres book section furiously and shamelessly.
    Blue wood may look good in bright meddy sunlight, but I think red posts and yellow trellis suits the UK light better.
    Nik

4. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for the feedback - I am quite keen not to just stick a palm tree or a yucca in a pot and call it a med garden!

I have plenty of ideas, but my plan is not just for a quick fix (a bit of wood, a few pots etc), I'm going to be building appropriate walls, working with different flooring etc, so I'm really planning to make a go of it! :D

My main challenge, as Nik says, is create something that looks good but not totally out of place with the limitations of the British climate. I have read plenty on the subject, but I'll also be scheduling a few library visits before I start I think! [​IMG]

5. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave,

Can you tell me what the flowers are on your member picture.I used to love these when I was younger but don't seem to see then about anymore.

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    look like livingstone daisies to me!! mesembryanthemum! (although I've seen different names on the seed packets)

7. cazza

cazza Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nixon,

I actually remembered the daises bit bit not the rest, not that this was difficult-lol
    How on earth do you all know and remember the plant names ?? I can't even pronounce then let alone spell them !

8. big daddy

big daddy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I lived for a few years in Southern Spain (Marbella). The plants I gained the greatest pleasure from were Bouganvillas, Hibiscus,and the beautiful Datura. All of these are available in this country, but the best of these varities are only available out there. So pack your bags and go and have a look at these beauties, and bring some back with you.

9. mims

mims Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A bit off track I know Big Daddy but as I have a freind going out to Spain later in the year I would be interested to know what the varietys of bouganvilla and datura are.... never know I may just get a pressy [​IMG]

10. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dave
    Do include in your plans somewhere warm to overwinter your less hardy plants. They will creep into your garden, honest. A minimum of 3 or 4 �°C is a good general purpose target. Bougainvilleas and Datura will flower all winter at that temp, and lemons will thrive too.
    Some broad leaved tall bamboos can look good as background plants in a med garden, and they are hardy too.

Nik

11. big daddy

big daddy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mims
    Re your query as to what varieties of Bourganvilla, Datura, and Hibiscus I could recommend. Afraid you just have to walk around the markets and see something you find striking and bring it away. The Spaniards never bother to label anything ( they probably dont know a name anyhow). I would think the Hibiscus is a form of H. Rosa-Sinensis, but in our garden centres they do not have the big beautiful blooms that the Spanish one have. With the Bougainvilleas it is essential that you get a double-bract variety such as 'Cherry Blossom' or 'Los Banos Beauty'.
    I dont think you will find these in your local GC, so get out Plant Finder if you want to trace one.