1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Melaleuca

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, May 14, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,733
    Having bought my Melaleuca three years ago, it has blessed me this week by having it's first bloom .... I am ecstatic ... :)

[​IMG]

It's near on 6 foot tall now so it was about time .... I think this will be it's only bloom ... ask me if I care ... no don't! :thumb:

Note the Oleander buds in the background. :)

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That is so delicate LoL. Booful.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,418
    Which mela is it Lol? one of my pot M. Armarilis is covered in buds, last year it had two flowers. The one in the ground which is now 2 meters high has none! Strange plants.

I have 7 different Callistemon all in bud :) except Viminallis!! :(

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,721
    Very nice LoL.
    Similar to bottle brush.
    I've grown them but they get very big I find are not very hardy.

5. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,733
    Evening strongy and pete. :)

Haven't got a clue strongy .... just called Melaleuca here unfortunately .... how about white? :rolleyes: I am deighted this has at least one bloom this year. My C vininalis is finished now but what a beautiful sight it was. I am braiding the stems of mine so watch this space.

When we went on our trip "up North" the other week they were all just blooming up there and almost every garden has one sort or another, just fantastic!

Pete, yes they are similar to the bottlebrush, more like the C viminalis with very soft drapey branches and soft leaves. Of course they would not be hardy with you, silly. x

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,418
    Mine (which is also white) is in its 2nd year in the ground and it grew a metre last year, I cut the top out but the side shoots will grow just as tall. Haven't had a cold winter so I don't know how hardy this one is. The leaves on mine are needle like much thinner than C. Vim.:)

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,733
    Hi strong.. :)

Are they alwaays white? I bought it on a whim because it was a tea tree plant.

Should I cut mine back to bush it out? It's under the taller of the two Jacarands and it needs, in my opinion, some'filler' underneath (the Jacaranda that is).

The leaves on mine are almost identical to the C viminalis .. do you want a photo for comparison?

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    That's a beauty LoL I love the eucalyptus type smell you get off these australian plants I actually cycled through the town of tea tree in oz a few years back the place is surrounded with the melaleuca trees talked to a guy that used to distill it to get the tea tree oil.

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,418
    Not sure about yours Lol but some can get higher than a Jacaranda. There are red ones as well which are easily mistaken for Callistemon. I would cut it back as it could take over.

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,733
    It is lovely, isn't it walnut. :)

This is more or less two meters, strongy, and I bought it at 50cm perhaps so it's growing at a fast pace.. It is leggy so I will take your good advice and cut it back when I'm sure it's finished it's flower(ing). Thanks for that. x :thumb: