1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Melons

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rosietutu, Sep 15, 2014.

1. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Having enjoyed a very good Melon they do vary, Prepped it put into a bowl ready for supper, thought I would just throw the peel and seeds onto the garden a few weeks ago, thought no more about it, Yesterday whilst doing a bit of weeding discovered half dozen good sized melon plants...what to do with them any ideas ?
    I do not have a greenhouse reckon its to late in the season for anything fruitful outside

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Outside (greenhouse sown and raised in Spring) they really need a minimum of a cold frame to get the fruits to maturity in a season.

If the seeds were from Supermarket melons?? they may be a variety unsuited to growing in a UK climate and/or and F1 variety that may not come true from seed.

3. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Yes they were supermarket, it was the rate at which they germinated. surprised me if it had been something I really wanted to grow......I would no doubt be still waiting:sad:

• Agree Agree x 1