1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Memory foam mattress

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pip, Jun 5, 2007.

1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    My three week old and rather expensive mattress is going into the spare room.

When we bought it we were told of the fantastic nights sleep we would have on one of these things.

True enough, we have had many a good nights sleep but we are now having restless nights.

The salesman failed to mention that the foam acted like a heater and now, as the air temp is rising, so is the temp of the mattress,waking up sweaty every night.

Can`t take it back as it isn`t faulty,done some research and it transpires that it is the major drawback with this style of mattress.

Anybody else out there had any similar issues?

2. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Interesting, I always fancied one of these, hate being too hot when sleeping. You need a temperature cooled NASA space suit for which this memory foam technology was developed. [​IMG]

3. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have one. I love mine, I don't find it any hotter than a normal mattress

4. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We've had one for over a year, no problems, we just reduce the top coverings when it gets warm.

5. glenw

glenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i'll echo dizi and mike, had one for 3 years now and had no probs at all, unless of course you count struggling to get up in a morning! :D :D

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    My Osteopath was going to suggest me getting one due to my chronic back problems,but someone tol her they are no good for us ladies and our glows :eek:

I already have sleepless nights due to my back problems and these dam glows so it would be murder sleeping on one of those.It's a pity that things like that are not pointed out at the time of buying one.Sorry that you have wasted good money Pip :rolleyes:

7. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    LoL :D don't need to increase this problem !

8. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    I must be too hot for the bed [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    I wish I could have afforded a whole mattress but I couldn't so I settled for a memory foam topper I saw advertised in Amateur Gardener for �£49.99. It's been fantastic!

I put a little fleece on top of mine and it seemed to cut it down a bit. You do get used to the thermal feedback eventually so don't give up on it just yet!

I also got another one, cut it in half lengthways and put in under the throw on my settee. Wonderful! And the cats love it too!

[​IMG]

10. JarBax

JarBax Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have had mine fro approaching a year now. It wasn't the most expensive type - but has done wonders for my 'gardener's back'! I haven't noticed the thermal reflective problem - but I do have a wool blanket, and two sheets covering the mattress, so maybe they insulate it enough to keep my body heat out? Maybe worth trying to add a few layers between you and it before the great mattress humph into the spare room?