Memory Foam Mattresses.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by moyra, May 28, 2013.

1. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    I am desperate because of our bad backs to get some advice on memory foam Mattresses. Lets have it the good and the bad please so I can treat Steve and I to two decent mattresses to help our bad backs. Thank you.

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    No experience of the mattresses, Moyra, only the pillows and, I won't recommend those :redface:

My mother had a bad back (initially diagnosed as slipped disk; eventually discovered as a crack in the spine) and she spent many a night with an old door under her mattress. To my thinking, a memory foam mattress wouldn't quite have that same degree of support? :dunno:

I'll be interested in reading others experiences though :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,278
      I/We tried a couple, (due to sore backs)
      The first was a four inch deep overlay thing = No good
      Second was the full expensive mattress = No good

Apart from not supporting the back, they get very warm very quickly, too warm to sleep really

Best so far is a Firm mattress, almost as firm as a wooden door :-)

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,067
        I tried one and it ended up going on freecycle. No proper support and way too hot!

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +84,360
          Memory foam mattress,........... there is a joke somewhere about those,........ but I've forgotten it.:scratch::biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +13,961
            Friends put a memory foam topper on their guest bed recently. It was truly dreadful! The edge stayed compressed so by morning I felt that I was hanging on to the slope by the skin of my teeth. I splashed out on a deep sprung-base with sprung-mattress divan, over twenty-five years ago, and it's still the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. Think it is a Sealy.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
            +28,996
            When Mrs Scrungee & I got married, we went for the firmest one available and that's how we still like it.

As for memory foam, stick with that for walking boot lining.

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,318
            I have a memory thing topper that has gone on top of the mattress , it moves, feels like a bed of sand sinking in plus it gets very hot , (no joke about the last one please) so I wish I never bothered and just bought another mattress waste of good ££££ .

Spruce

• trogre

trogre Gardener

Ratings:
            +279
            Personally,not that impressed.My back needs to keep as straight as possible during the night or it aches at the bottom.Purchased a foam mattress and the mattress followed the shape of my back so ended up with an aching back, so I still have to sit up at night.They are a lot warmer than normal mattress so good in winter bad in summer.
            My fried lives his but other half does not so all down to personal opinion but hard when you want to decide if to spend money out.I would when we want a new mattress get a good quality pocket spring mattress again.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            :whistle: :mute: :heehee: :mute: :pathd:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +48,872
            Been there, done that, and spent an absolute fortune in the process! Get yourself a cuppa, as this could be long.

When we first got together, we used Mrs C's double bed, but not long after, I got first glimpse of the symptoms that I have to this day; so, we decided a new bed was in order.

First one was a Super King Size Divan with a conventional sprung mattress, however before it was a couple of years old it developed a crater in the middle which meant that we would roll together in the night - I'm pretty sure that the delivery men broke the back of the mattress when they were shoe-horning it into our one-bedroom upper floor flat. We bought a memory foam topper, which was OK for a wee while, but hellish hot in the summer; more than anything, I couldn't hack the 'sleeping on a slope' feeling that was twisting me out of all proportion.

So, we went bed shopping - again. In the local furniture store, the salesman pointed us toward a lovely Tempur clam-shell bed, which was beautiful - - however, he then told us the price at which point I uttered words that are not fit to be printed on a family forum, laughed at how ridiculous the price was and headed off home. I then made the mistake of browsing the net, and found an unknown brand of memory foam mattress so bought that, along with a solid pine bedstead that Mrs C fell in love with; it just had to be good, as it was really expensive at £1300 - - right??

Three weeks later, it was delivered, and it had all the properties of sleeping on a breeze block. Mrs C wasn't bothered by it, but I was in agony pretty much every night. I put up with it for 9 months, and we went on holiday and stayed in a friends house on a bog standard Silentnight bed. Now, I was still in pain, but nothing like when I was at home.

One night back home in our own bed, I could take no more, it was utterly dreadful; and to cap it off, I didn't really fit as I kept smacking my feet on the big turned wooden spar at the bottom of the bed. Following morning, we got up early and went bed shopping - again!

We started in Dreams who tried to flog us what we didn't want (kept directing us to a bed that we didn't like), and then kept reminding us that they only delivered to the front door and not the bedroom.

Next up was Benson's, and the difference was incredible - the salesman listened to our story, and then led me to this black vinyl covered bed connected to a computer, and asked me to lie on it while the computer assessed me. Three or four minutes later, the printout from the computer showed all the points on my neck and back that it thought I would get pain - and it got them spot on. This led to the conclusion that I was matched to a certain model of bed in their Kingsdown range.

He took is to the bed, a big white puffy thing, and asked us to lay on it - - - it was like lying on a cloud! Did we like it? Too right we did!

Then came the snag - the price. A tad over £3000, and that didn't include headboard or pillows! After unleashing my inner Scotsman and turning the air blue, and then asking the salesman just exactly where on my forehead the word MUG was printed, I stopped ranting long enough to listen to the guy.

Sure, it was an incredible amount of money - but, it had a ten year guarantee as standard, and we could have four years interest free to pay it off, and he would lob in a headboard free as well. Suffice to say, we talked some pillows into the deal and that was that - - worked out at £50 a month after the deposit, which to be fair almost seems cheap now.

Over six years have passed, and we still have the same bed - and it is still as comfy now as it was the day we got it. I am utterly convinced that my current issues would be infinitely worse had we not gone for such a good bed.

I expected my mum to go Radio Rental when I told her how much our new bed was - however, she said something that has stuck with me ever since: Always buy the best bed and best shoes that you can't afford, as you are either in one or the other of them. True that.

Benson's still stock the same range of beds as far as I know, although they are now called Sleepsystem or Bodysystem I think - well worth a look.

Oh, and one last thing - do not be tempted to buy online, or to buy without trying. :)

• Like Like x 2
            • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              Wholeheartedly, agree!

Except, my mother was a Yorkshire woman, so her caveat was: "... that you CAN afford" (coupled with: neither a lender nor a borrower be ) ;)

So, in synopsis: is it fair to say, that in answer to Moyra's question, a memory foam mattress gets the thumbs down from you, FC?

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +48,872
              Yes - absolute thumbs down from me Mum :biggrin:

The thing that a lot of people forget also is how much other goods have risen in price whereas important things like beds haven't really - or at least, the basic entry price for a bed hasn't.

That £3000 price tag is equivalent to £341 back in 1975 - about right for a high quality bed.

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +31,885
              And an old door, to place under any type of mattress, hasn't "risen" in price at all ;) :heehee:

Just saying :whistle:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +48,872
              Blimey - If I had an old door under mine, I doubt I would rise either! :biggrin: