1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Menage a Trois in Sparrowland

Discussion in 'Wildlife Corner' started by Alice, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I posted on this Sparrow behaviour last year but here's the update.

Recap from last year
    A pair of Sparrows nesting up, under the eaves on my house raised 3 broods of chicks.
    The first brood, saw nothing unusual.
    The second brood - a second hen turned up and was very determined to be in at that nest, wanting to feed chicks etc. The resident pair wanted to be rid of her and she got duffed up regularly but she persisted in the nest attending behaviour
    The third brood - the resident pair seemed to have given up the fight and the nest was attended by the cock and two hens.

Update
    This last few days a pair of Sparrows have been back at that nest, cleaning out and carrying in nesting material.
    Today, a second hen has turned up. She's trying to join in the activities.
    The resident hen is in constant dispute with her but the cock doesn't seem to be bothered.

Anybody else seen bird behaviour like this ?

2. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    No, but I've seen human behavior like it!!!!

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, I've seen human behaviour like it too, Armandii. Ever watch the Jeremy Kyle show ??????
    But, the Sparrows seem to be at it too !
    I'll report how it goes - since they don't have JK.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Its probably an offspring from an earlier brood who hasn't paired up. The instinct to raise the chicks is still there, but also the parents instinct to kick the youngster out of the nest is still there.

Also featured regularly on the Jeremy Kyle Show :heehee: They are called Aunties.

5. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes, I think you are right Ziggy, but it's interesting to watch and just wondered if anyone else had seen it in action.