1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

mental health problems

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wonkeyeye, Oct 26, 2005.

1. wonkeyeye

wonkeyeye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    does anyone out there suffer from mental health problems. Having a panic attack right now. Any suggestions how I can help myself. Bye the way, I'm not mad just sick.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Breath 15 times in & out into a paper bag. The panic is made worse by the carbon monoxcide/dioxide levels going to pot, where we breath incorrectly & breath out more than we breath in It really does work.... Honest.. Try some Yoga classes. Very gentle. help to calm you..... There is usually a very good reason for them starting in the first place, I understand that. I hope this helps.

[ 26. October 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

3. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    i know its hard and you feel terrified and think your gonna die but your not.get up and look out the window see that your not alone. look at your hands shake them about. look at your furniture does it need cleaning (mine does)take the dog for a walk. make a cup of tea .think. what last made you laugh. listen to some rock music .consentrate on your breathing focus on it. what ever your worrying about try to change, if you cant change it forget about it negative energy is no good to no one.

4. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] I agree with elainefiz, try & do something that will take your mind off it at the time, whatever the time of day or night.. You know, there are allot of us out here who do know what it is like. Sometimes the reasons are easily rectified, sometimes not, I know, so try & be positive with yourself, try not to be too hard on yourself either. Come & have a chat here, there is usually someone on line...

5. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    W/Eye, You did the right thing in asking for suggestions and help - that was something positive in itself. As Marley Farley said, come and have a chat with someone on line here. Tell us all about yourself if you want to. There are some really great people on this forum who will respond. Look forward to seeing your next posting and that you have overcome this panic attack, and you'll know you can do it again if necessary.

[​IMG]

6. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Oh well done [​IMG] - posting a message during a panic attack.

And some great advise given as well. To highlight the points given

1. Concentrate on and slow down your breathing
    2. You feel your going to die but you won't.
    3. Do something to distract yourself - anything as elainefiz says - even counting.
    4. Record on a chart each time you do something that overcomes your fear and moves you a step forward. Concentrate on each and every positive.

The mind is a wonderful thing, but can be a bit tricksy at times. I hope that your getting help to address the cause - but in the meantime we're friendly folk

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    All good advise so far. You should also remind yourself (constantly) that panic/anxiety is a chemical reaction and will dissipate soon.

8. wonkeyeye

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your messages of encouragement. I sought help from the mental health crisis team and am now on the mend. I have a little way to go to complete recovery but am 100% better than I was.

Thanks again.

9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Well done Wonkeyeye for approaching someone to help. [​IMG] It is a very difficult thing to do sometimes. Life throws so many things at us these days & it is very difficult to cope with them sometimes, & especially if you are on your own. We all react differently to the situation of the moment & it isn't always the way we think we will. Never think you are alone in all this, because as you have found you are not. Panic is a very frightening thing as it makes the body do things we have almost no control over, or that is what it seems like at the time. There is usually someone around here though, so come & have a chat or join in the games if nothing else till you get to know the site. [​IMG]
    Well done!! Good Luck!! & hopefully we shall hear more from you. ;)

10. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Delighted to hear that you sought and got help and that things are on the mend. Well done you :D

We ain't going anywhere so keep on chatting eh!

11. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Lucky you that there is help available. Here there seems to nothing offered but drugs which I refuse to take again. The side effects are almost as bad as the illness.

12. wonkeyeye

Ratings:
    +0
    Palustrus

You sound from your reply that you also suffer mental health problems. You mention drugs are all that are offered. Maybe you should seek councelling or change your doc.

Let me know.

13. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Palustris, There's been some excellent advice on here
    You could try here: -
    Birmingham Counselling Centre, 62 Lightwoods Hill, Bearwood, Warley Woods, Birmingham B67 5EB Tel: 0121 429 1758 Email: [email protected] Web Site: www.counselling-direct.co.uk
    - if it's not close enough they will probably be able to direct you somewhere nearer.
    There are many of us who suffer / have suffered mental health problems, don't ever be afraid to ask for help - this is a sign of strength, a step up. No matter how dark / bad it feels (& I know, when its like that no amount of reassurance & jollying from others can bring you out of it) Look to where you know you can get some strength from, whether its inside or out. In a former life, I worked in Mental Health as well as being a long term sufferer of depression. Find your coping strategies, I've found what works for me (Yoga, a good old dig or hedge clip etc!) It's important to try & build support systems for yourself, & to know your limits & not push them too hard. There is hope, help & lots of lovely people on here to turn to. Well done for reaching out! Keep it up [​IMG]

14. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    This seems a good place to say I'm back and hello to all you good people again.
    Had to take some time away and help the wife "care" for her mum. More in the way of mental support really as she was a bit stressed out having to run here,there,and everywhere else her mum could think of!!...'nuff said I think.
    Great to be punching the keys again and catching up with you all.
    Nick.

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Hi there Paladin - great to see you back! Missed you!

Life's tough being a carer at a distance so hope things are settling down for you.