1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Messy Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Simone, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Simone

Simone Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have a 60ft x 20ft garden and we are looking to re-design it but include shrubs and plants that do not require much work.

Our idea is to build raised decking at the end of the garden, turf to middle, 2 flower beds on either side and a patio at the house end. Does anybody have any idea as to how much they think this would cost?

2. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Welcome Simone. Nice to have you on board!

Your question is rather like the old 'how long is a piece of string' chestnut. It'll be as much or as little as you want!

You need to get some catalogues of decking stuff and price it out, go round B&Q and garden centres and see how much turf and plants are, then work out how much you'll need or are prepared to pay out for. Same with the patio. You might also do a little window shopping on the 'net. It basically comes down to a pencil and paper and the size of your budget. Also how much work is needed to prepare the garden as well. Magazines are a great source of info, too.

Without seeing the plot or knowing any of the above, I wouldn't guess you'd get much change from a couple of grand.

3. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, are you planing to build your own deck, much cheaper if you do? if so go round the builders centers and get quotes, go with the measurments and they will work out the exact cost for everything for the deck and patio.

what types of plants do you like?

I have a local market near me that auction trees and shrubs, much cheaper, maybe you have one near you. Farmers markets offer good healthy plants at a good price.
    Also if you are going to buy several plants and whatever eles you may need for the garden it is always worth asking for a discount, 10 - 20% off is worth an ask. I do and they give it...cheeky I know ;)
    good luck

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    For my two pennyworth - I would suggest revisiting what you will use the garden for. Decking at the end of a 60 foot garden - what are you going to use it for and what will make you make the trip from house with food/drink, down garden to sit there doing what?

For me before any money is spent consider what you want from your garden - another room, beauty from the window, a secluded chill out place, entertainment place. Then with a browse through garden pictures find the designs that meet your picture.

Even DIY a garden design and implementation is not just a few pounds excluding the blisters - so take your time and plan it for what you want and will give you pleasure. Get it right and its worth every penny - leap without, and.......

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    A conservatory is a good investment as the british weather is a bit temperamental I sit in mine on wet or sunny but cold days in the spring/ winter Mine is as much part of the garden as the house and some plants overwinter in there. great for bird watching and the odd glass. just a thought.

6. IckleWeed

IckleWeed Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simone,
    We have just cleared and done a similar thing to your idea but on a smaller scale. Our garden is only about 25 x 15 metres with a garage to one side. Here's the link to our progress ...

Our Garden

From this you can see from start to finish but although in day format, most of the days were only half days due to working shifts.

The total cost so far has been around the �£2000 mark including loads of bags of compost for the raised beds, the shed, decking and all of the plants.

This weekend we are looking at putting in an automatic watering system which at the moment will be using tap-water.... if anyone knows of a decent system to utilise the water from the butt, I would love to hear about it.

Hope this helps [​IMG]