Metal spinning.

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Retired, May 31, 2019.

1. Retired

Retired Some people are so poor all they have is money

Retired.
    Ratings:
    +5,790
    Hi,

A few months ago I bought two very old rough coach lamps costing £3 the pair at Rufforth Auto Jumble with the intention of restoring them to mount each side of our front door.

When I finally got around to working on the lamps they proved very rough indeed; the lens were loose; the electrical fittings dangerous and worst of all the lamp reflectors were badly corroded and there were six of these reflectors in three different styles a pair of each style.

At £3 I could have dumped these lamps but I like a challenge; I spent many hours and virtually made new lamps from scratch using just a few components from the old lamps like the lens. For the new lamp bodies I made these from aluminium sheet; lead came was bought and this in turn used to secure the lens in position but the reflectors were the biggest problem.

I tried polishing the original reflectors but without any success and I couldn't pop out to a local store to buy replacements so nothing for it why not make new reflectors. I've known of metal spinning for the last 55 years but never attempted it so now was the time to learn.

It's a long story but after a number of dismal failures I contacted a metal spinning company and the owner of this company took me under his wing; he showed me all around his factory and allowed me to watch metal spinning in progress both done on a CNC spinning machine and also spinning by hand; he answered every question I asked fully and I was truly amazed that not only did he so freely give up his valuable time to help me he generously gave me a metal spinning tool complete and a pair of metal spinning blades for me to attach handles to; on top of this he also gave me a huge bar of lubricant and a tub of lubricant; as if this wasn't enough he also kindly gave me ten aluminium discs of the correct grade aluminium. He was and is a great guy; I've returned a number of times and although I bought 100 aluminium discs he kindly gave me another 100 free of charge these being as he describes as scrap being the centre out of other jobs.

Now I was fully set up; I had my fully restored Union Graduate woodturning lathe upgraded to 1.1KW 3 phase running through a VFD giving variable speed and being used to woodturning I soon had the first reflector pattern turned in wood to spin the new refector against. First attempts were dismal failures but I'm as stubborn as they come and within a short time and a few ruined discs I started to grasp metal spinning; within a week I was back and proudly showed my efforts to the company owner and we're still in touch; I was over last week for a visit and a natter just to be nosy seeing what new items he's spinning; it's common for him to take orders of 6,000 or more of one pattern and his company is working flat out; I can't thank him enough for his unstinting kindness. I've offered to pay cash all the time and although I didn't want to waste his time he actually enjoyed my company saying I was the first visitor ever with a genuine interest in metal spinning rather than just customers who were only interested in their orders being completed on time.

I must add metal spinning is highly dangerous; I managed to break a rib whilst spinning but I stopped breathing for a couple of weeks until I could resume work on the lamps. Metal spinning is not easy to learn but once the basics are grasped it's a fascinating skill to practice. I completed the six new reflectors and the lamps are now installed.

Kind regards, Colin. Coach lamps._006.JPG
    As bought one of the coach lamps.

Coach lamps._007.JPG
    Metal spinning tools with block of lubricant.

Coach lamps._002.JPG
    One of the reflector profiles turned in wood.

Coach lamps._001.JPG
    If at first you don't succeed give up?

Coach lamps._004.JPG
    An original reflector with two new reflectors.

Coach lamps._005.JPG
    This was a difficult profile to spin but I'm determined as they come.

Coach lamps._008.JPG
    Metal spinning underway.

Coach lamps._009.JPG
    Success is sure to come if stubborn enough not to give in at initial failures.

Coach lamps._010._012.JPG

Colour matched to the bungalow.

Coach lamps._001_01.JPG

Coach lamps installed; I also made the front entrance creating a porch also all the cladding and the deck extension.

• Like Like x 4
    • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
      Ratings:
      +12,508
      Metal spinning, I had to look it up.

Good work @Retired :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +84,314
        Yeah never heard of it either, at first I thought it was lathe work.:smile:
        Similar but different :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
        • Retired

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +5,790
          Hi,

Thanks Freddy & pete. :thumbsup:

Yes lathe work but with a lot of difference. I was trained as an apprentice mechanical engineer on lathes and other machines at Crigglestone Colliery Training Centre in 1963 so I'm well used to lathe work but until recently never needed to try metal spinning; the video you kindly posted Freddy shows a scissor tool in action; I plan to make one of these tools but I used a standard hand spinning tool for the reflectors. Tremendous leverage is needed hence I found out the hard way by breaking a rib; apparently many hand metal spinners also break a rib or two so in order to avoid breaking more ribs I'll make a scissor type spinning tool.

Above video shows the technique I used and the guy in the video makes metal spinning look so very easy; it's actually difficult.

I enjoy leaving my comfort zone to try new things and learn new skills; years ago I installed 3 phase 415V into my workshop for just under £120 using a very large transformer; I've made "vintage" capacitors for vintage radios and made a bespoke potentiometer for a friend who owns a very expensive vintage car; his petrol gauge and tank sender unit died; he obtained another petrol gauge but full scale deflection was different to the original so I made him a potentiometer track calibrated to his replacement gauge; I enjoy the challenge of doing something different.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Retired

Retired.
            Ratings:
            +5,790
            Hi,

Having now grasped metal spinning basics it hasn't taken long to find an excuse to do more. I fully restored a Colt petrol mower and was disappointed to find a pin prick leak in its newly painted petrol tank; I repaired the leak only for it to pop another leak so rather than chase my tail I decided to make a new petrol tank from aluminium, it would have been very easy just to weld on flat ends but I liked the idea of cupped ends so I've metal spun two ends. The tank now needs welding.

Kind regards, Colin.

Petrol tank_0001_01.JPG
            First tank end successfully spun.

Petrol tank_0002.JPG
            Tank ready for TIG welding.

104_1006.JPG

Rough turning the spinning former from Lime timber; the shape was finely adjusted then the former sanded smooth ready for use. Any excuse now to have a go at metal spinning.

• Like Like x 4
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
            • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Below is real metal spinning :biggrin:
              As an engineer I saw quite a few metal spinning CNC machines at exhibitions. Although never used one for my automotive production parts.
              The petrol tank you made really is a top class job for a home workshop, well done

• Like Like x 2
              • Retired

Retired.
                Ratings:
                +5,790
                Hi,

Thanks for asking Sandy; no foot pedal supplied but if I ever get this welder working again after it blew up I'll be buying a foot pedal; even if things can't go wrong they are guaranteed to go wrong for me; please see the story of my exploding TIG welder;

Blown my welder up.

Many thanks HarryS for your kind comment. Yes I too have viewed the video you kindly posted plus many more; I find metal spinning to be fascinating and to be friends with the owner of a metal spinning company a real bonus; when I visit him we have a good natter as he shows me his latest orders being spun in large quantities and thanks to him and his generosity I picked up basic metal spinning very quickly indeed.

My next job is to learn TIG welding but first I have to repair the welder; bad luck is my constant companion but occasionally I enjoy a bit of good luck so I'm not moaning; I only wanted to TIG weld the petrol tank but now I'm deep into electronics; it's just a way of life with me.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 2
                • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,368
                  Having just had a quick look at your link, I would have contacted Parweld even if its out of warranty.

Edit: As soon as I had posted this, a thought occurred to me. I vaguely remember that one welding machine manufacturer was having problems with circuit boards, and was forced to replace them. I dont remember which one it was, but maybe its the same board? Therefore, a repair might not be the correct way to go.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • Retired

Retired.
                    Ratings:
                    +5,790
                    Hi,

Thanks Sandy. I've already contacted Parweld via their website but to date without the courtesy of a reply.

Thanks so much for cheering me up; my plan "B" is a sledge hammer which solves many problems; with hindsight I'd have run away from Parweld; I had been looking at industrial TIG welders but the ones I viewed all being 3 phase; now I've got this wayward Parweld there are second hand industrial machines on eBay that will run on either 240V single phase or 3 phase.

Tomorrow I'll know if a repair is possible because the new caps are being installed.

I'm dogged by bad luck; Bron my wife is just wonderful and I asked her if there was absolutely anything she wanted and she said she would like new roller blinds for the four windows in our rear extension; a browse online to Swift Blinds in Huddersfield very near to where I worked for 24 years knowing Swifts and having previously bought from the store; we've just visited in gridlock traffic only to be now told it's no longer a store but Swift's offices and we need to buy online. If I jumped from a bridge there would be an hay cart passing below. GRRRRRRRRR.

Kind regards, Colin.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,309
                      I've bought blinds online @Retired. If you're interested I can search my paperwork and give you the company name. I'm pleased with the two blinds I bought and their after sales service is very good too.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Retired

Retired.
                        Ratings:
                        +5,790
                        Hi,

This is most kind of you Sheal; thank you.

I've solved the problem and bought online all four blinds only costing £112 so a huge saving and a big loss to Swift Blinds.

EASY FIT – Patterned Thermal BLACKOUT Trimmable, Roller Blind / blinds, 170c... | eBay

Bron chose pattern "Papavero" and we expect them to arrive in middle of next week; given the number of sales and almost 100% positive feedback I'm sure the blinds will be well worth the money.

Thanks again Sheal. :dbgrtmb::awesome:

Kind regards, Colin.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +52,309
                          You're welcome Colin. :)

• CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                          Ratings:
                          +30,477
                          @HarryS I worked at a machine tool company and a machine tool supplier to cover maternity leave for an employee at each place and to help the owners, friends of mine. It's amazing what those machines can do, given the right operator and programming. I enjoyed working at these places because the levels of precision in both operations and adminstration were a lovely challenge. I set up a work flow system and comprehensive paper trail to satisfy the ISO to pass us in 12 man hours. A good savings for the company. The owners always invite me to every party they have, however I suspect they do it to have at least one "odd" old broad there :)

• Like Like x 2
                          • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +16,246
                            Well done Lori, for getting the ISO accreditation completed. When I worked for Stanley they were checking our procedures for 5 days!

• Like Like x 2