1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Metposts and round posts - or other ways to make a trellis screen/fence

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Claire75, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I'm back - been working on my phd (aka wasting time on different forums instead of this one! :D ) for a bit that's why I've not been around.

Anyway, now I have a question you guys might be able to help with if you would be so kind....

Does anyone know if you can use metposts with round section posts? I have some round sharpened posts, about 73mm diameter, holding up a sort of willow trellis screen, but the posts aren't really long enough to be banged deep enough into the ground for stability while still giving the height of screen I want.

The other alternative I guess would be to concrete them in, but I've been told they'd rot quite soon. Is this true?

Any other ideas about a cost-effective but stable way to do this? The point of the screen is to provide some privacy, keep random dogs out of the garden and to support my climbing plants while still allowing air and light to get through to the veg patch - hence I'm not too keen on planting a hedge or anything like that.

I'd be very grateful for any advice [​IMG]

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Claire.

Met posts take 3" square posts I've never heard of one that will take a round post of any diameter.

Concreting in is usually not advisable. Yes the posts do rot and it's a hell of a job to dig out the concrete to put new in.

Pro Gard often has ideas for this sort of thing so just hope he picks the thread up.

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that was quick!
    Thanks John that's a good start [​IMG]

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Claire you can get round post spikes,, but you need to ask the Metpost suppliers in your area.

5. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry David. I forgot you (again) :D :D

6. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
  7. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Id concrete or drive in an angle iron and coach bolt through it into the timber post sections.

All the fencing work I do the posts are concreted in although I soak the post bases in a bucket of creocote for 48 hours before placing them.

TBH I find meteposts rarelywork as the ground is either unnsound or too stoney, the exception being the repair spurs which are great although notcommonly available for 4" posts.

8. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, that's food for thought....

Paul, would the kind of timber preservative available to the diy'er be OK if I did go the concrete route? As I can't see me getting hold of creosote. Also, if you use concrete, how do you get them to stay upright while it cures?

The metpost concept seems to have worked OK for another similar screen I have (although, as I erected it myself, it leaves a bit to be desired in the straightness department...) which is probably beginners luck, aided and abetted by me living in the fens - lots of mosquitoes but lovely easy stone-free soil. It is just the round post problem that is, well, a problem [​IMG]

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    claire,

Creocote is still sold. Its now branded creocote substitute, The only differnce is theyve reduced the tar content slightly.

A suitable alternative to creocote would be:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/65235/Paint/Wood-Care/Cuprinol-Clear-Wood-Preserve

dont confuse this with timber treatments eg cuprinol sprayable which do not prevent decay mearly coluring the wood.

Dig your post holes then use a stiff concrete and some broken bricks or rubble, tamp the bricks in thus wedging the posts still, more concrete over the top.

10. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Claire, creosote has been banned for about 6 years. Creosote substitute is not creosote.