1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mimosa

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Banana Man, May 31, 2006.

1. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    This is one for you mimosa experts out there.

I have this plant what I believe to be mimosa. I already have an Albizia julibrissin and a Acacia dealbata but it is not like them as it appears very hardy and evergreen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] (shoots I pulled out and potted up)

It hitched a ride on the tree fern I bought last
    year and is completely dependent on the TF's husk for water etc. The biggest ones are fully rooted up and down the TF trunk. The TF is a tasmanian one which means that it is believed more cold tollerate. I have rooted a couple of shoots and it is doing really well, so if you recognise it let me know what you think. Bit of a find if its a fully hardy evergreen mimosa. It wasn't bothered by frost at all and considering its small size.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Well BM, apart from the facts that they have wintered outside & are rather stretched looking, they look awfully like my Mimosa-Silk Tree
    Albizia julibrissin Durz.-Pea family (Fabaceae. I grew mine from seed from a friends garden in USA. It is nearly 4ft tall now.. Have a look here..
    http://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/fact/alju1.htm
    Then again I am not that familiar with them
    [​IMG]

Did you wrap yours up with the tree fern If it is wrapped of course? That could explain it. Although I did leave this one out one year & apart from the tips being a little burnt it survived although later coming into leaf. This one is inside still today as there s such a cold N. wind...!!!!!

3. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Yep, I thought it looked a lot like my Albizia julibrissin . But I couldn't get over the hardiness. My Albizia julibrissin gets throught the winter with little or no frost damaged as a deciduous tree, but this stays green as green can be? TF was not wrapped it such a way that would of protected them as I only do the crown of the TF not the trunk.

This is my well established AJ today...

[​IMG]

Compared with this of the seedling!!!

[​IMG]

Bizarre!!!

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Oh, very bizarre, I didn't realise you meant it stayed green all winter. Will put my thinking cap back on again then.... Will have a chat with a friend later... :D

5. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,360
    Albizias can be very confusing and frustrating as they find it hard to really get going in to a mature tree in our cool summers. I was given a "Julibrissin" by a friend but as it is in flower now it definitely is not as the flowers are small, white and round ( will post pic tomorrow). I have two 7ft high pot specimens in the polytunnel which have flower buds for the first time in five years and one in a pot outside also showing bud.
    I saw some really massive trees in the States last year in NY and Pennsylvania where the summers are perfect for growing to maturity and being covered in flowers. Yours do look like Julibrissin ( Rosea?) as mine did but untill they flower it is hard to tell exactly what they are!

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,503
    I think its an Acacia, it might well change leaf shape this year which will confim it.
    The fact that its caught up with a tree fern also suggests acacia.
    [​IMG]
    This is acacia melanoxylon, I'm not saying thats what it is, but it comes from the cooler parts of Oz and grows into a large tree, its hardy with me.
    You can see the leaf change from juvenile to adult.

7. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    I am going to pot it on again and grow it into whatever it might become. Well pleased with my freebie interlopers and I will report back when it matures. :D

8. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,360
    This is the Albizia I was given 18 months ago .
    It's not Julibrissin or Lophantha as the flowers are obviously round, I have googled and found Acacia Sieberiana which is similar but the leaves look slightly different. Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,503
    I think we've been here before strongy, these acacias and albizias all seem very similar, especially when young, it looks a bit like that one I was trying to ID a while ago at Kew.
    At least you've got some flowers to help ID.
    Dont most acacia flowers form clumps of spherical flowers, those are single spheres, could that make it an albizia?

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,360
    I was going to say I didn't think it was Acacia because of the single flower but a couple of pics on google looked like a few had single flowers so I am not sure. At least I have something different to what I was expecting and I do have a couple of Julibrissin in bud as well. It's what keeps our interest going! [​IMG]

11. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,503
    Oh yes, nice to get flowers, even though the leaves themselves are interesting. :D

12. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Pete I am not worthy. Looks like it might be an acacia melanoxylon, you should be feeling very pleased with yourself for such a shrewd identification.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BM

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,503
    Thanks BM, but beware, I think that confirms its an Acacia but as to wether its Melanloxylon or not I wouldn't like to say, it does however look very similar. [​IMG]

14. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    It's a mistake to generalise, but it seems that most of the Dicksonias arriving here as trunks come from regions where A. melanoxylon is very common. Almost all of the 'passenger' Acacias from Dicksonias that I've seen in recent years have turned out to be that species.

If you get some ferns springing up from spores germinating on the trunks, they can be great fun. I've had Histiopteris incisa, Hypolepis glandulifera, Microsorum diversifolium and Pellea falcata in the past. Some new 'scales' are developing on the lower sections of the most recently planted one. Here's hoping for something new.

15. Banana Man

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    Cool, I like plant freebies, would like some of the ferns you listed to appear. [​IMG]