1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

mina lobata-firecracker vine

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by windy miller, Sep 30, 2006.

1. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    Been given 3 of these plants and after a bit of googling have got mixed results. Some sites say they're a tender perennial others to treat like an annual. As it's late in the year was wondering if I keep pinching out the tips and prevent it flowering will I be able to keep it going inside until Spring?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,642
    Dont know windy, not tried it.
    Think its usual to grow it as a half hardy annual, at least thats how I've grown it.
    Give it a go you've got nothing to lose. [​IMG]

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
  4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,685
    Windy, depending on the position you choose to put it, it could survive if the roots are protected. As you have three, try three different sites! [​IMG] If it survives, wouldn't mind a seed or two ... cheeky, I know! :D

Dendro, the site you gave is one I have up on my favourites as I love vines! So we do agree .. sometimes ! :D :D :rolleyes:

5. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I have a packet of seeds - intend planting this year, but won't be using all of them, so if you want some, LoL....

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,685
    Faz favor, faz favor, obrigadinhas, minha amiga!

I'm making a little package up for you now but will probably post it next week in the UK as there's no rush to plant anything ... I'll chat to you later!

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I take it you meen you would like some then????? :D I'll wait until you're back in Portugal, and you can remind me..... :rolleyes:

8. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone,
    Great link Dendy [​IMG] It is a stunner isn't it? Will look great growing up the fence between me and Dingle's Yard. Think I'll try one there, one behind the compost bin where it's more sheltered and keep one indoors. Hopefully I'll manage to keep one going til next year. If not Dendy, could I have a couple of your seeds? :D :D

9. DaveP

DaveP Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes very much so, but you'll be glad to hear that it is as unfussy about moderately cool conditions as annual Ipomoeas are finnicky. I grew it here some years ago when I needed some fast, colourful cover. Seedlings were planted out in mid April (try doing that with Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue') and they romped away, flowering like crazy all summer and dropping shed-loads of seed everywhere. I think my only gripe with this species was that the growth was somewhat coarse and it needed lots of feed and moisture to remain in good condition.

The following spring during the March clean-up, I yanked out the old plants expecting them to be just dead stems. I found that although a lot of top growth had partly died back, the lower portions of stem were green and shooting while the thick, white roots were extremely healthy. Furthermore, self-sown seedlings kept popping up for the next few years.

Overwintering just above frost-free in good light and keeping the plants on the dry side should be enough.

10. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Dave [​IMG] Sounds an ideal plant for behind my baby trachy - if I ever get it planted out!! [​IMG]

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I'll send you some anyway, Windy - it's such a nice plant you'll proably want another anyway!! :D

Just send me your address

12. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    OOh thanks Dendy [​IMG] Are you sure you've got enough to spare? Hopefully these 3 will last the Winter and then I can return the favour next year [​IMG] [​IMG] PM on its way. Thank you [​IMG] [​IMG]

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    they're on their way..... :D

14. Rich

Rich Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Ah right, I was going to put some in the package I'm preparing to send LoL. I won't include them then.

15. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I'm sure they wouldn't mind the odd extra one, Rich! :D