1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini Greenhouse....ideas

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Genie2312, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Genie2312

Genie2312 Gardener

Vet Receptionist
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks to Scrungee.....i have ordered a mini greenhouse (no space for a large one.....pick it up next week).....i tried to grow a few things on a small patch at the side of my house....with not that much success....not enough :sunny: i don't think.....

Anyone got any ideas on a few easy things i could grow in it at this time of year?? (too excited to wait :heehee: )

Especially "Types" as I picked up a few tomato plants not realising how big they would grow and they took over the patch

OH AND I DON'T DO RADDISHES!!! :loll:

Kate

2. Genie2312

Genie2312 Gardener

Vet Receptionist
    Ratings:
    +18
    21 views and no ideas?????? ....... i feel deserted in my time of need :cry3:

:help::dbgrtmb:

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Genie,

Just put a 4 tier one up at the West Bay plot. Will be using it for cuttings but also got a few Pak Choi, Land Cress & Lambs lettuce on the go. Some of those will be planted out as space gets freed up but i'll keep a few in 6inch pots in there for when the snow comes.

Will stick some Mizuna in there too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Genie2312

Genie2312 Gardener

Vet Receptionist
      Ratings:
      +18
      sounds good....i've already been collecting a few bulds/seeds to grow in there for next year :dbgrtmb:

I'm a bit excited....lol

I've got some peppers and chilli plants that haven't really done anything so i'm going to pop them in there too....

It's a walk in one.....did give the measurements but i'm useless at picturing the size......:loll:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Heres the one Willow & I just put up.

[​IMG]

The Peppers & Chillies won't survive the frosts, so they'll need to come in & overwinter on the window sill.

• Genie2312

Genie2312 Gardener

Vet Receptionist
      Ratings:
      +18
      looks good...and what a pretty name.....i'll bear that in mind about the peppers n chilli....thanks :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • cbcarolyn

cbcarolyn Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        According to the gardeners world mag this month they suggest putting winter salad leaves in an unheated greenhouse.

They also suggest putting in bricks so that it will get warm in the sun and then let it out during the evening.

I have just got a few polystyrene boxes from the fish stall to over winter my cuttings in - but i reckon they would be perfect to plant straight in and make a bed for the lettuces. I think Rocket will grow in the cold. Google winter lettuce and it should give you some idea.

• Like Like x 1
        • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,389
          The polystyrene feels so warm at the touch that is is really tempting to use it as some sort of insulator. I stored bits of polystyrene for like one year, and eventually used some under the pots and threw away the rest.