1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mini pond and wildlife

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by fiwi, May 3, 2006.

1. fiwi

fiwi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a tiny pond in my garden (about 30inch across and in depth), I put in a few bricks and a plant in a pot for oxigenation (Scirpus cernuus). I've always had frogs in the garden so they were in there from day one, shortly followed by spawns (covering most of the surface of the pond)now it's full of tadpoles and I have even spotted a newt in there.
    Now I am a bit worried that either they are going to die because of lack or space :( or that one day I am going to wake up and my lawn will be covered with frogs. :eek:
    Any advice on what I should do?

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Just leave 'em to it - unless you can share your tadpoles with another pond. Frogs in the garden are wonderful - and you rarely see them, as they like shady corners during the day. Just be a bit careful when digging. :eek:

3. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    :D Got to say Fran,fiwi. Our lawn and patio gets covered with frogs when they leave the pond..I even have to sweep the lawns before I mow!!

4. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Fiwi - Frogs and a newt!!!!! WOW!!!!! They obviously are a happy bunch there!!!
    My only bit of advice is NO SLUG PELLETS!!! (mind you, you should have no slugs left in your garden with all those frogs!!! If you really are that worried about too many tadpoles in your pond with not enough food, contact your local wildlife trust and see if you can move some elsewhere, otherwise, just make sure the pond stays topped up, and nature will do the "survival of the fittest" thing....
    If you are worried about frogs on the lawn - just dont mow for a while when the babies leave the pond..... and just enjoy them!!!! :cool:

5. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    You lucky, lucky thing! What I wouldn't give to have just one frog in my pond, especially as it was custom built accommodation for just that purpose. But so far, no-one's taken up residence!
    [​IMG]

6. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    nothing has taken up residence in mine either..yet their are loads of frogs around the garden..i think they use next doors pond!!oh well the birds like my pond so at least its used by something..

7. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Yes, I've noticed the local birds having a bath in mine as well. It's sweet to watch them, isn't it?! I have also failed, as yet, to strip out all of last years old growth which included some echinacia heads/stems and I noticed some small birds (?tits, ?sparrows, couldn't see what they were) having a real feast on them this morning!

8. wildflower

wildflower Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I found a birds nest in an overgrown lavender bush..in the front garden..its in a really sheltered place by the front door with a fence behind it..perhaps its for birds that dont like heights!!!!...I built my pond for frogs with logs and old tree trunks around it..and i was really dissapointed i didnt get any spawn..perhaps next year...I also have lots of shadey plants..and grasses and you would think they would like their new home..i did have a mouse that took up residence under the wood..every day we took him cheese out and one morning he was their floating in my pond..it wasnt me that fished him out!!!

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Both wrens and robins build their nests low down - so you never know that may be what yours is.

10. fiwi

fiwi Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you all for your advice. Yes I feel very lucky, but I actually built the ponds because there were always lots fo frogs in my garden so I thought they might like somewhere to have a swim, I didn't think it was going to be so popular!
    I am still worried about the amount of tadpoles though, and also, the water has gone very dark, I can't see what's going on in there anymore. These pictures were taken a couple of weeks ago when the water was still clear, but you can see the amount of taddies in there compared to the size of the pond! [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Don't worry about tadpoles running out of food, the biggest ones are the cannibals. :eek:

12. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    i would love to have a pond have a balcony bought a small water feature, visit my friends as they have a large pond with lots of carp so at least i get to enjoy their garden
    new member rosa

13. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    you can still have lots of fun with your balcony water feature, I have a large pond and also a stone trough, its just as much fun to watch the insects and birds visiting the trough for a drink. How high up is your balcony?