Mistletoe advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by NIKKI D, Dec 25, 2012.

1. NIKKI D

NIKKI D Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I know this is something of a long shot but I have decided to try persuading Mistletoe to take root in my garden. I have a large plum tree and purchased some cut mistletoe. I have read recently that it is sometimes possible to get it to set in the bark of a fruit tree and so decided to give it a go. My question is whether it would also possibly grow from a hazelnut tree that I also have in the garden.

What do you think? I'd be grateful for any input

2. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    I will look forward to reading the responses on here,ive never thought about growing mistle toe(is it similar to a holly tree?) so i will also learn something new :blue thumb:
    Merry christmas nikki d :) x

3. Pootle

Pootle Gardener

Ratings:
    +94
    I remember my dad trying that with an apple tree but he never did manage to get it to take. I hope you are more successful. Not sure about the nut tree but it's worth a try

4. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I have some growing in a Poplar; I do have fruit trees nearby, but no signs of the mistletoe migrating to them.

5. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Not sure how true this is but i read some time ago in one of the gardening magazines i think it was that Mistletoe berries will only germinate if sown in slits of bark from the same type of tree that they were harvested from so unless you know exactly which species of tree your mistletoe was harvested from you might not have any success in getting them to grow so do let us know how you get on with them:smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +117,295
      Hi Kandy, I've seen mistletoe take root in different trees (at friends).

Apparently you need to have nice ripe berries and not try and graft the stems. You need to slice a flap of bark open, on quite a thick branch, set the seed (not the berries) inside and then bind it. The seeds need to be quite ripe so don't do it until spring. Although the mistletoe should grow OK it won't produce seed heads for a few years.

As you have some cut mistletoe, I would put some of it in water to allow the berries to develop fully otherwise the seeds may not be viable. Better yet, if you know of any trees nearby that have it then I would collect some berries in March. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        I think Mistletoe cut for XMas is too early to be "ripe" for sowing the seeds. I would collect some when ripe and "sow" it straight away, in the way that Shiney has described, except that I would put the berry on the slit-bark. Pretty sure it came up in The Garden recently, I'll have a look through back numbers

• Like Like x 1
        • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
          +19,594
          I thought it Oak that was the host of Mistletoe?

I also though the seed had to be deposited there in its own little parcel of bird poo, the bird's digestive tract having eroded the hard outer casing on the seed(s).

Sorry, that's just what I read, I have no useful concrete knowledge on the subject.

As an aside, here's some trivia about the origins of kissing under the mistletoe. According to Norse mythology, some powerful goddess gave birth to a son. She issue a command that nobody may harm her son with either tooth or claw, or weapons made from any of the trees in the wood. Loki, the trickster, tricked someone into making a spear with mistletoe at the top (not wood of a tree) and this was used to kill the lad. The goddess was so upset and furious that she cast the land into an eternal winter which lasted thousands of years, until a treaty was drawn up. One of the terms of the treaty was that nobody may harm each other and hatred must be pushed aside whenever in the presence of mistletoe.

So there we go, some useless info that might one day come in handy if it comes up in the pub quiz:)

• Like Like x 4
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I slit the bark on my apple tree & put a few seeds under it. Nothing happened for about 2 years then I saw a green shoot coming out.

A few years later.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hmm, that pic didn't seem to work

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +84,354
                I've never tried it but I think its a slow process.
                I've seen it growing high up in all kinds of trees, so I'm not sure there can be specific types of mistletoe that grows in specific trees.

As I under stand it, (and this goes back a long way in my memory), the birds eat the berries and rub the sticky seed off their beaks on the bark of trees.
                Its probably very hit and miss in nature, but the sticky substance glues the seed to the tree.
                I'm thinking it only goes on to grow if the bark gets damaged in the process.

So, my guess would be to slit the bark and stick the seeds underneath, then wait.

• Like Like x 1
                • sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +2,998
                  Zigs that is really surprising of you :biggrin: , really nice experiment .......
                  the other person would have just put mistletoe in the back pocket , so that ..kiss the..:whistle:

did you use normal mistletoe from florist or picket some berry in the wild?
                  Mistltoe is a parassite plant so will leave on any plants , the special roots will actually grow under the tree bark .

• Like Like x 1
                  • Sue.

Sue. Gardener

Ratings:
                    +49
                    Leave the berries till nicely ripe and transparent looking. Make a slit on the underside of a branch, and rub the berry over the slit making sure the seed stays in the slit.

Takes a year or so till you see the first little "seedling" then it gradually grows, so the big bushes you see on some trees represent many years growth.

I think it must grow better in some areas than others, and there is lots in Worcester/Hereford/Gloucester area, especially on the old orchards.

Mistletoe growing on oak is rare, and was valued for its special properties, particularly (supposedly) by the Druids who harvested it with a golden sickle and catching it in a special cloth so it never touched the ground

Modern research apparetnly shows that mistletoe does, indeed, contain unique anticancer compounds, which can both inhibit the formation of cancer cells and stimulate the immune system to destroy them when they do. The result was Iscador, a preparation made from mistletoe berries, which is widely prescribed in Europe and is the most commonly used cancer drug in Germany. It can apparently be used alongside conventional treatment such as surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy, and has been found to alleviate the pain and side-effects.

• Like Like x 6
                    • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
                      Ratings:
                      +6,654
                      I've tried it in the past and never got any to survive although I have had a few produce the little suckers that help the seed 'clamp on' but dry up before they got any further...:doh:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                      Ratings:
                      +31,021
                      On the boundary of Reading (Berkshire) cemetery is a line of tall, very mature Poplar trees that are laden with Mistletoe. Within the grounds are many relatively newly planted "avenues" of small trees (not poplar) that are happily hosting young mistletoe. When we next pay a visit, I will try and remembr to take the camera and get a picture. If it's in Spring, I will gather a few berries and let GC know,
                      Jenny