1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mistletoe

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Rhyleysgranny, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I bought some of this in tescos today. Does anyone know how to grow it from the little berries? I know it's parasitic and needs some sort of special conditions but haven't a clue. :scratch: I love a wee bit of a challenge and would like to try.

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    That description in the Telegraph is exactly the same as the one I heard on Woman's Hour on Radio 4 last week. The expert being interviewed did say to wait until February when more berries are ripe.

Good luck though :)

4. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you. An interesting article. I have the mistletoe in water. I have plenty of trees so I will give it a go. I have an awful lot of birds too though:lollol: I wonder if they were covered would it stop the birds eating them.

5. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    No, feed the berries to the birds and then ask them to poop on the right branches for you.:lollol:Wazzakins suggested that to me yesterday when I was talking to him about it

Seriously, I have a couple of crab apple trees in the front garden and I want to have a go at seeing if I can get mistletoe to grow on it but I need to access some of the higher branches.

I somehow think me, a ladder and the tree will have to do this.
    I'm going to have to cut out the middleman (or the middle-bird) :lollol:

Step 1. buy mistletoe.

6. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Step 2. Buy a baby apple tree and start from scratch so as to reach branches before they grow:gnthb:, and stay away from ladders:(, or you`ll end up like me with a badly grazed belly:doh: after attempting the exact same operation two years ago.:lollol::dh::lollol::dh::lollol::oops:

I prefer to do it the old fashioned way now-and if the tree can bear my weight ( hard enough in itself) I climb with my own arms and legs-much safer. The ladders don`t slip out from under you that way. ( or rather from under me!)

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have some great images in my head now, of you balancing precariously in a tree, frantically trying to wedge a mistletoe seed into a crack!!

8. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Then all I have to do is tie the bird to the tree:lollol::lollol::lollol:

9. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Best not to have too many glasses of sparkling before you do it-no matter how brave it may make you feel:hehe:

10. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    sorry, shouldn't laugh but it does conjour up images.

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Shobna, you minx, how very dare you-:hehe:,

glad I made you chuckle though. `Course had you been there you`d have needed the tena ladys. Sad the day you turn around and the children you went through agonies to bring into this world are wetting themselves at your misfortunes-bluddy kids!!