1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mites on morning glory seedlings

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Selleri, May 19, 2009.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,681
    I really don't know where this thread should go... I have some Morning Glory seedlings on my windowsill together with my Ficus Benjamina which has mites. You know, the tiny creatures that eventually create a web with their strings. The Ficus is fine, it gets weekly showers so the mite- problem isn't that terrible.

The problem are the seedlings, they are growing very well but have mites. I'd assume they shouldn't be a problem once I get the plants outdoors but actually I was dreaming of keeping some of them indoors to frame the window.

How to treat mites on Ipomoea meant for indoors? The Ficus is fine with weekly showers, the mites survive but the plant copes just fine, however, I don't fancy a large climber with Pests in my bedroom and anycase, I have a gut feeling that the soft leaves of the Ipomoea might be more affected with the monsters.

Please help!

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,989
    If your talking Red Spider Mite, you could have problems.
    They wont necessarily go away when you put the plants outside, and inside they are likely to ruin your ipomoeas from the start.
    You can buy a predator, that eats RSM, for indoor use, it might be worth trying, I'm sure the ficus would appreciate it as well.

3. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Can't you use Provado?

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I had severe Red Spider Mite on my Morning Glory last year - they were in the conservatory. Killed all the Morning Glory Plants, I used predator, but I was very late in detecting the mites, which I'm sure didn't help, and it was towards the end of the season so I let the mites get on with it (spraying would have killed the predator too)

5. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,989
    You could try it.

But I've found RSM are pretty resistant to most sprays that we are allowed to have these days.
    At best you might kill one generation of adults, but there will be plenty of eggs to carry them on.
    Repeat spraying just builds up their resistance as far as I concerned.:(

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Pete. I always suggest Provado because I found, that as a Systemic, it completely controlled scale insects. (Since they banned Malathion:() It also wiped out the Lily beetles I was having trouble with.:gnthb: Don't know much about RSM as I grow all my stuff outdoors and they don't seem to be a problem there:)

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    It does work Caj but another good systemic is Westland bug attack it is long lasting,I add 10 drops of Neem oil to a 250ml spray and also use a fine spray gun the one it's in is to coarse it kills them stone dead,worth a try Pete.

8. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,989
    Where do you get the neem oil Walnut?

I even get problems with RSM outside in good summers Caj.

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    In good Summers, pete? I think I'd happily struggle with the RSM if I could lay out in the garden, in the sun, with a beer in my hand.:D But to be serious, I find them crawling all over the fence and other woodwork but they don't seem to be on the plants. However, I've got a g/house now, I'll keep a close eye on things:wink:

10. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,989
    Caj, if you see them crawling on the wood work and fence I doubt they are RSM.

And I'm sure we are going to get a warm summer this year.:rotfl:

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Does the old wahing up liquid trick work on mites?

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Pete got the neem oil from the local health shop they sell it for nits on kids,you can get it on e-bay.

13. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,989
    Ok thanks Walnut, will keep an eye open.