1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile phone network recommendation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,613
    Not often that we can give positive recommendations nowadays, but when one comes along, it is worth sharing.

Just over a week ago, I changed my car and the new car has a sat-nav unit that shows you live traffic information as you travel (quite handy when you live and work in SW London!), but to get that information the car needs to have a mobile phone SIM card installed into it.

Not wanting to spend much, if anything on this really, I initially looked at pay-as-you-go style cards, but all of the ones I looked at wanted to be loaded with a minimum of £10 which would then expire after 30-days and you would be back to square one. I then looked at some SIM only deals, and they averaged around £8-£10 a month for a basic 1Gb or 2GB plan.

Out in Staines last Sunday, we spoke to the guy at the Sky stand and as we currently have Sky (I say currently, as it is on my hit list to go!), he did us a deal at £4.50 a month for a 1Gb plan (normally £7 if you don't have Sky). Fair enough, not going to get much cheaper than that. Better still, any unused data each month would simply roll over to the next month and build up, so in theory all the quiet times would build up a pool of unused data that I then wouldn't have to worry when I went on longer journeys.

The card arrived, and was duly activated and put into the car - nothing, wouldn't work.

I contacted Sky help team via Twitter the other evening to ask for advice, only for them to initially say that their SIM wouldn't work in car units and were designed for phones only. So, I asked how to cancel, as the contract had been mis-sold, with the guy selling it being fully aware of the intended use (numerous times!)

Being late in the evening, things were put on ice (or so I thought) as customer services had closed for the night (fair enough). Around 10pm, I got a message through from Sky saying that they had been speaking with some of their tech guys and had a suggestion to try. The problem lay with the fact that the SIM was not in a phone and therefore couldn't receive the text message with the relevant settings it needed to make it work.

Between us, we worked out how to manually put in the information required (essentially the network ID and Access Point Name), and I have fed back the results to Sky with photos to allow them to help others in future.

But, the stand out thing here was that something that was on hold overnight, someone took the initiative to go and try to resolve, and achieved that resolution, and all for a £4.50 a month contract. Now that is pretty good service.

So, if you need a SIM only deal for your mobile phone (or indeed if you need a new phone) that isn't going to cost the earth, has endless free texts, tons of minutes and data rollover...... give Sky a try!

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Hi FC,

A possible alternative is Tesco PAYG Sim card, just a one off payment and as long as you make one 'call' or message every 6 months its keeps the allowance there, no monthly cut off etc.
      Ideal for the emergency phone where you do not make a lot of calls.

Also I use it in an electronic module that just sends out an alarm sms, a bit like a stolen car tracker, so it may well work ok in your car unit as is ...? though do check the latest offfer/version still allow this type of useage.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,613
        Hi Ricky,

That one wouldn't work for me as the system uses no voice or SMS, purely data and that trips up most PAYG ones as they require that SMS/voice use once within the specified period to keep the thing running. It is a bit of an odd situation though as there must be more than just JLR vehicles that have a system like this.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,995
        Call me a dinosaur but aren't all these gadgets just designed to cost you money.
        Now if it was installed by the car manufacturer and it was free to use it might be worth having but I find most travel info to be pretty useless.
        Once word is out about a problem all alternative routes just get clogged anyway.
        That is of course if there actually is an alternative route.;):smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,613
          To some degree, I suppose they are, but in the couple of days I have been using it I have been surprised at how accurate it is and how handy it is - it is not so much that the system re-routes you, but rather that you can see on the screen what the traffic levels are like on the road you are on and roads around you so if you know the area you can pick which way you want to go. The data use seems to be relatively small, so the 1Gb contract I have should more than cover it. Whether I will get that £4.50 back in saved diesel at any point remains to be seen, but I suppose that it could be argued that it saves you money by saving time if you are not late for work etc.

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,995
            Where does it get its info from.
            Only I go to work via country lanes mostly, but if there is flooding or other problems I have to use the main A roads.
            I can see it might work on the A roads, but not so sure anyone monitors the lanes.
            The A roads are just nose to tail and pretty much 10mph max in the mornings anyway.

• Like Like x 1
            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
              Ratings:
              +49,613
              Looking at the display, it appears to be based on Google data - if you go to Google maps, click on the bars on the left and select traffic, you will see coloured lines on the various roads in your area (or anywhere really). The data is collected from phones and satnav units as to how quickly (or slowly) they move along the roads, coupled with manual reports from traffic authorities and private users (road closures and so on).

There is also a website called one.network which councils and transport authorities feed into regarding any roadworks or disruptions in their area (again, this appears to be linked to Google). All of this is definitely 'big data' but it seems to work really quite well.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,995
                Now you mention it, I did see something the other day, but thought it was a hoax.
                Apparently some bloke put 90 mobile phones in a trailer and towed them very slowly around the streets.
                Turned out the streets were almost empty of traffic as it gave the impression that the traffic was slow in that area.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                  Ratings:
                  +49,613
                  It is a huge combination of GPS, GPRS, cell triangulation data all linked up with the various roadworks and street control centres (LSTCC in London for example). Scary when you think about it, but then really handy at times too.

My journey home of an evening takes around 20 minutes. If things on the roads go horribly wrong and I get stuck in it, that can be 2½ hours, so the cost of the additional fuel alone is not insignificant. Besides, if I avoid a problem I might make another area a little bit busier, but that is still better than me becoming part of the problem.

• Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +118,494
                    The system you're describing is almost certainly 'Waze'. It was developed by a small Israeli company and rolled out about 2006/7 as a freebie service in Israel (think they called it Freemap Israel but changed it later to Waze). This was described to me by our driver and guide (two friends, one Jewish and one Moslem) when we were touring Israel.

It gives real time reports automatically (unless you turn it off) of where the vehicles are. This shows immediate information of the build up of traffic and allows you to find another way. Our driver used it to avoid the sudden build up of traffic around Tel Avbiv when we were on our way to Jerusalem. I think it's now connected to Googles mapping system.

It was sold for a rather large sum to Google and the small staff of the original company received about £1 million each. :rolleyespink: I don't know how much the owner got.

You can probably look it up on Google :heehee:

I liked this play on words :biggrin:
                    P1350249.JPG

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,613
                    It is similar to Waze, and in all likelihood linked somewhere in the background, however it does differ quite significantly to Waze.
                    In many respects, Waze is better - however, as it runs on your phone, and for most folks is on a tiny wee screen it does have drawbacks.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,608
                      I use an alternative to that with Tesco. When I bought my phone there I was told there were two ways of using PAYG. The first is what you've described. I can't remember the last time I used my phone, probably more than a year ago. The set up I have is for a light user, sorry I can't remember exactly what it's called. It allows me to use the phone as little as possible without a cut off point. You may want to check it out at Tesco @ricky101.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,097
                        You all know me. Technology and Mike....DON'T MIX. My mobile is a hand down from grand kids. All I want it to do is....let me call for help!

Funny enough. I have just been on youtube. As so often I was looking at police based subjects. A Google App available in the States enables drivers to identify where the police may be watching. The police have asked Google to scrap this facility, as in their opinion it can aid criminals and put the lives and safety of officers at risk.

We so often hear comments and complaints of,'Big Brother Watching YOU' In probably most cases security cameras etc can be good etc. IMHO I feel that Google is getting too big for it's boots. You switch on your computer, and Google takes over. Now the same company is taking over your phone, mobile or otherwise. I don't like it.

If I may. I used to keep in touch with police mates via a police forum. Sadly interest dwindled and no more forum. We often shared discussions relating to devices etc that sent out signals and like sonar, told us of police traps/radar etc. The topic would widen out. Under the telegraphy and whatever act. It was an offence to transmit a signal etc. Likewise to recieve a transmitted signal required a licence. It all became a bit of a merry-go round. I think. Google needs to be stopped on this one.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,613
                          A few points there @Mike Allen - if Google takes over your computer when you switch it on, your computer is either incorrectly set up or it has some sort of very strange virus. Generally speaking, it is Microsoft that takes over your computer, not Google - Google only gets involved at your choice, usually by you chosing their browser and/or search engine.

To some degree, yes it is big brother watching you - but equally, it is us watching big brother; there is clearly a huge demand for this type of information as companies such as City Mapper, Waze and so on are doing very well out of it.

Your reference to the police is a very interesting one, as this technology generally helps police - in the first instance, it makes it easier to track the last movements of a missing person (or at least their phone) with a fairly high degree of accuracy; relating to the topic at hand, satnav units, the traffic data is shared very rapidly indeed, so if there is an incident where a road has been closed for whatever reason (usually a stabbing in London!) that information is circulated around phones and satnav units keeping people away from the problem area - not only does this help minimise the huge traffic jams, but it also stops officers getting verbally induced earache by people shouting at them because they are angry that the road has been closed. Finally, it has the ability to transmit speed limit information continually, and in conjunction with other technology such as traffic sign recognition it can give the driver overspeed warnings, or even remind them they are no on an two way road and not a motorway.

Every mobile phone is a transmission device and receiving advice (that by their nature is how they work), and satnav units are no different in that respect with the exception that they handle data only (no voice, or saucy text messages) - and all mobile devices have the relevant compliance in terms of the radio signals used, and are covered under the malicious communications act.

In the instance I am talking about, Google appear to have provided the map and map data (could just as easily have been Bing or Ordinance Survey), the traffic information appears to be a mix of their data, one.network, HERE and of course for the software Jaguar themselves must have had a say. This is not new technology (not by a long stretch), it has merely reached the point where it has become accessible to a lot more people at a reasonable cost.

Oh, and if you dislike Google, you might want to avoid YouTube as they own that and know everything you watch and offer you new suggestions and advertising based upon that.

• Like Like x 4
                          • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                            +28,997
                            Would a data sim like one of these work? (I use them in a mifi [1], but I got mine a lot cheaper than they are now [2])

Three data sim from Amazon

£42.96 for 24 gb or 24 months, whichever is the greater, if 1gb/month is OK, that's £1.79/month. It would permit exceeding 1gb some months, and using less others.

[1] Before anybody suggests tethering in lieu of mifi, I can use my mifi plus external aerial on top of a caravan,/narrowboat, outside a b&b's window, etc. in areas with poor reception and nil reception indoors.

[2] Only 61p/month/gb!

• Like Like x 2
                              Last edited: Mar 2, 2020