1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mohican Allium, Pink Allium and Muscari...too late to plant?

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Shaneoak, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
    Ratings:
    +88
    Hi-Hope you're all well-I've orderd some on sale Mohican Allium, Pink Rosy Allium and Muscari as they were cheaper than normal. ..Is it too late to plant? They haven't arrived yet, but i'm worried that the ground will be too cold. It's snowing apparently in Leeds in a weeks time! eek!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,508
    No plenty of time to plant to plant alliums , the muscari maybe showing signs of growth but still can be planted. Which muscari ? got to be careful with armeniacum can be invasive

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
      Ratings:
      +88
      Thanks for the info. Ah cool! I read that Decemeber can be leaving it too late for certian bulbs, bar Tulips, in northern England. It's the basic blue armeniacum (although i planted Whites, pinks, sky blue, purples etc in October) . Yeh, i read that they can be invasive. I've had loys of them a couple of years in my garden now and they don't really even hardly spread! Wish they would ha! Okay, cool, i'll wait for them to deliver the bulbs and plant them asap:) Really hope i get a great display of spring bulbs this year, esp Tulips. Last year only 2 Victoria Secrets bloomed out of 40 ! Some of the other tulip varieties bloomed 50-50. The Muscari and Hycianth always bloom well. Have poor results with Anemone Blanda too.I think there's too many bulbs in my 9 by 4 meter garden.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,323
        @Shaneoak I find M armeniacum to be very invasive, the foliage is very floppy and they just look a mess. I admit I have a grudge against them; when I moved in here the rockery and the bed on the opposite side of the bed were full of them and I spent a summer taking the rockery down and removing the them, even then I didn't get them all and still am removing foliage and bulb if I can get it.
        I do rather like some of the other Muscari species such as macrocarpum. These tend to be better behaved and bulk up slowly as they are more particular about growing conditions. I planted some M caucasicum last weekend with several inches of growth showing, these will be fine. Muscari start into leaf fairly early and I already have M macrocarpum in leaf (flower April).
        Anenome blanda grows and spreads under the trees in my garden. Here they are shaded in summer by the trees and don't get baked, but in winter the ground is sufficiently well drained they are not wet. The rhizomes are relatively close to the surface only about an inch or so down.

• Like Like x 1
        • Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
          Ratings:
          +88
          ha fair enough. I've become quite fond of the Muscari and yes, some new varieties are great. I had some white topped and sky blue ones last year, looked so pretty with light pink large Hycianth's. I have burgundy Anemone which seem to do well and look lush! The bulb supplier still haven't posted the bulbs, been a week now. Bit panicky as it's getting on a bit. Although, i bizarrely have California poppies still in bloom, the papery yellow types!

• Shaneoak

Shaneoak Gardener

Model and writer
          Ratings:
          +88
          Update: Arrived and all planted :) Was a right skill full maneuvering job trying not to hit other bulbs whilst planting these and i kept sporadically unearthing crocus that had started to set root and shoot! I just re planted them, i'm sure they will be okay. There was a lot of space left under the apple trees, so, i had to plant the tulips under there. Hope they have enough space to grow and don't get pushed aside by the apple tree roots.