1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

moles!!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by randkell, Nov 12, 2012.

1. randkell

randkell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    moles seem to be taking over our garden. Don't have any for ages then suddenly 7 in one area and three in another. up 'til now have just cleared the (very nice!) soil away and trod them down but obviously that doesn't work in getting rid of them. Any advice appreciated before we lose all of the lawn.
    is there a season for moles?

2. kazzie_SE

kazzie_SE Gardener

Ratings:
    +198
    Oh dear... I'd be interested to know what the answer is to this too (other than blowing them up):

[​IMG]

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    willow says find the hole that leads to the mole house and when the air pressure changes, they will come up to see whats going on. Then, grab them and keep them as pets! :dancy:

• Like Like x 3
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      We have had an influx this autumn. I expect they were here all Summer, but burrowed deeper and/or didn't dig up the borders and the lawn!

I trap them. Takes a while, but over the last month I've caught half a dozen or so, and am not seeing the same damage to the beds so I reckon that's all of them.

• randkell

Ratings:
      +0
      thanks Kristen - are all traps the same? or are some better than others? our farmer neighbour put one of his into where he thought the run was but since then the litle dears have given us another 5 heaps! so obviously it didn't catch it/them. appreciate your input.
      Zigs - think you mis-spelt the last word - shouldn't the S be before the T?

• kazzie_SE

kazzie_SE Gardener

Ratings:
      +198
      Fingers crossed that you have resolved the problem Kristin. I'm a bit of a light-weight when it comes to trapping / killing wildlife (not saying I won't do it, but it will bother me loads). And Zigs, as for keeping them as pets (sp?)... my troublesome gsd would devour them in seconds!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      I've used 4 approaches:

Putting Spurge (some sort of Euphorbia that grows wild) down the runs. Holly too. Waste of time ...

I got one of those noisey things - long-ish vertical spike that you ram into the ground and it is supposed to drive them away. I have a big garden, I couldn't really say if it worked, I suppose they Moles were no longer active in that area but they just popped up elsewhere - maybe they were bored of that area? or maybe the device works?

Traps:

I have used both scissor traps and "tunnel-tubes". Both have worked. I now only use scissor traps, more robust and less specific where you have to put them - the "tunnel-tubes" have to be in a tunnel ... but, having said that, that's where the normal advice is to set the traps anyway.

I have lots of traps, I find its hit & miss, so having more traps improves my strike rate - lets say I've caught about 6 Moles in the last month or two, and I've got 10 traps. So my success rate is not good (otherwise I would have caught them all in a week!), so (cost aside) I would recommend my scatter-gun approach.

I try to find a run (rather than a mole-hill). If they have pushed the ground up along an obvious run I gently push it back down (i.e. half-way back). If its back up again the following day then its in use, rather than a one-off run. I then open it up, put the trap in, and put a bucket over the top to keep the light out (actually usually I use black flower pots with gaffer tape over the drainage holes). I push the soil down along the run (again, only gently - about half-way back) for a foot either side of the trap - so the Mole is having to push the run back open and, hopefully, doesn't notice any difference when he comes to the trigger of the scissor trap.

If there are no obvious runs then its worth trying near a mole hill. Probe around a mole hill (couple of feet away) with a spike until you find where the soil "gives" with the run underneath. Make a hole with a trowel, find the direction of the run, align the trap with that, cover with bucket/pot.

The "tunnel-tubes" I have used have a wire noose and the idea is that the Mole has his head in it before he realises (where he may sense the trigger of the scissor trap before actually setting it off). On mine the springs have bust after a while, whereas the scissor traps have very simple, and substantial, springs so I think they last longer. For sure they will be pretty much instant as they snap shut with significant force, but make sure you check the traps regularly just in case not.

I think it is easier to see if the Scissor trap is "sprung" or not [compared to tunnel-trap] - the handles are either still together (set) or apart (sprung)

I don't bother to wear gloves or anysuch, although I did try to make the traps "mucky" when they were first bought. Burring them in a bucket of soil for a few days may help.

Mole Scissor trap:
      [​IMG]

Mole Tunnel Trap (also known as Duffus Mole trap)
      [​IMG]

More info here:
      http://www.trapman.co.uk/old-english-scissor-mole-trap.htm

• Like Like x 2
      • RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
        +404
        good advice, Kristen. I use the scissor traps when we have moles too. Usually we only get one or 2.

The reason why they are prolific this time of year is...(look away if feint of heart lol)...is that their genitals have dropped and they are looking for females. :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
        • landimad

landimad Odd man rather than Land man

Retired Rail worker
          Ratings:
          +915
          IMHO there's only one way to get rid of a mole.

Well you did ask:lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 3
          • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,177
            Why don't we have proper comedians like this anymore.....

• Agree Agree x 1
            • randkell

Ratings:
              +0
              thanks so much Kristen - very helpful info - have printed it off and will keep it in my garden manual, as well as trying all those things. fingers crossed for success.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,343
              When we had moles in the garden I got the local 'mole man' in. He was very reasonable and charged £25 (eight years ago) and said if he didn't catch the mole(s) he wouldn't charge.

The price covered the initial visit, a return visit to take away the trap and mole and a charge of £10 for a repeat of the visits if there were further signs of activity.

He set the trap on the first visit, came back 48 hours later and removed the mole and we had no further problem. He said it was always best to call him at the first sign of a problem because it was then much easier to sort out.

I've no idea what his charges would be nowadays.

• kazzie_SE

kazzie_SE Gardener

Ratings:
              +198
              Thanks for that Shiney... being such a wimp, this is what I'll do :).

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,343
              I hope inflation hasn't affected the cost too much.

• kazzie_SE

kazzie_SE Gardener

Ratings:
              +198