1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Monstera advice

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by EarlNeonCog, Apr 24, 2019.

1. EarlNeonCog

EarlNeonCog Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I'm fairly new to the world of plant care, but I have a real urge to grow a Monstera.

I've heard they're fairly easy to care for and they seems really cool.

I'm not finding it particularly easy to find small Monstera (smallest I've seen so far was probably a medium size and well over 30 quid), so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a reliable place to get little Monstera, or, whether anyone could advise on how easy it is to grow them from seeds?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as I said, I'm quite new to this, so even the obvious stuff isn't necessarily a given for me. I assume it'd take more effort and care from seed, but I kind of like the idea of growing from scratch, and I've found a place that appears to be selling seeds (Chiltern Seeds) relatively cheep, by which i mean, in comparison to for an already established Monstera.

Any advice would be great. Many thanks!

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    Sorry, I don't know the ins and outs of monstera but I've bought seed from chiltern seeds on a number of occasions and never had any problems with them.

3. EarlNeonCog

Ratings:
    +26
    @mazambo

No need to apologise, that information is good to know either way to be honest.

Being new to it all, I don't really know the ins and outs of how well things travel and whether certain sites are good or bad etc. So all confirmations are great for me either way.

Thank you for your reply :)

4. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @EarlNeonCog ,

if you want to buy a plant, in your position I think I would as they are tropical jungle plants and so can be tricky, especially for a newbie from seed. There is a company called "YouGarden" who are selling them for £9.99. They are a really good company who I highly recommend as having bought many plants from them. You can get them on line or ask for a catalogue. Sorry, I can't put a link up but they're easy to find if you Google them.

5. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    • Like Like x 1
    • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,890
      • Like Like x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,636
        Hi @EarlNeonCog , welcome! :)

My best tip is to visit Wilko's, they often have houseplants for a pound or two. I have also seen Monsteras there earlier.

Ikea often also has them if you have one nearby. You can check local store availability online.

Amazon is a good place, but needs careful checking to make sure you get what you actually want, and that the delivery cost is decent. I have very bad experiences with "Plants4you" or similar, they are rubbish. Perfect Plants has excellent plants, their prices are not the lowest but the quality and service are excellent. Delivery is over a fiver though. You can also check bundles, a common houseplant mix often has Yucca, Spider plant and Monstera, small young plants but the prices can be very good.

Ebay is also good place, but again needs some care to get a plant and not for example artificial leaf, or a bag of old seeds. :th scifD36:

Good luck with your hunt :)

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,693
        Never grown Monstera from seed but have grown Philodendron, it's fairly slow process could be five years or so before you get a leaf with a hole in it, unless you have perfect growing conditions.

They are fairly easy to grow, its true, but you need reasonable light levels.

Last year at this time I had three small plants I had rooted off of the bottom of my plant.
        Sadly stuck with them overwinter and no space they ended up outside all winter, so are dead now.

Got one small plant forming at the base now, but it would take two or three months to get it rooted and living as a separate plant.
        I think you need to keep your eyes open for a small plant.
        I bought mine from Dobbies about 7 yrs ago for a tenner.:) DSC_0101.JPG

• Like Like x 1
        • EarlNeonCog

Ratings:
          +26
          @KFF Thanks for the advice. I thought it may be the case that it was just more logical to buy an established one. I suppose that growing one from scratch is something I can strive to once I have more experience.

• EarlNeonCog

Ratings:
          +26
          @mazambo

Thanks for the link! May well end up using that. :)

• EarlNeonCog

Ratings:
          +26
          @Selleri

Thanks for the tips!

Oddly enough i think i was eyeing up a very small Monstera from Perfect Plants but being sold on Amazon earlier, just wasn't sure whether I could trust amazon for plants.

It was almost the ideal one as well, as it was only a small but established one (6" pot, i think).

may take the hit, was only just over a tenner with postage. Need to know I'll be around when it's delivered though, would rather not have it packaged for longer than entirely necessary

• EarlNeonCog

Ratings:
          +26
          @pete

that's a beautiful monstera!

I think I'm probably going to take the easier option of getting a small monstera that's already establised for now given my novice status. Maybe one day grow one fully form seed.

Did see one that appears to be selling from Perfect Plants that seems kind of ideal as it's only a tiny one (6" pot, about 20cm tall). I don't mind waiting for holes in the leafs, it's more the growing it that I'm interested in. Want to be able to say "I did that" if you know what I mean lol (well, I facilitated that, more than did it, but still).

Thank you for the advice!

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
            +3,718
            Thanks goes to @KFF, it was his link I just put it on my post.:blue thumb:

• Friendly Friendly x 1