Monstera new leaves curling inwards away from light?!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Alex Murdoch, Aug 26, 2020.

1. Alex Murdoch

Alex Murdoch Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    My monstera seems generally happy and produced 2 new leaves a couple of weeks ago. Suddenly they're curling away from the light. Don't think have over or under watered. Soil moist right now. Fertilising on half strength once a month. Only one light source 7/8 feet away, but really very little space to put him nearer. Is above a table lamp & thought was curling into that. Perhaps should rotate as larger mature leaves might be blocking light? (Apologies not sure why photos rotated)

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,359
    I'd guess its lack of light, filtered sunlight is good, but with no real light source its probably confused as to where to orientate the leaf.
    The plant looks a little drawn.

3. Alex Murdoch

Ratings:
    +7
    Ah thanks for replying @pete
    Can you explain what you mean by drawn - do you mean it's longer shape is to do with light?

4. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,359
    Well, yes, it looks like its leggy if you get my meaning .
    I think it needs to be closer to a light source then it will become bushier with bigger leaves.
    Pot size could be a bit small as well, not a good time for repotting now, so perhaps something to think about early next spring.

5. Alex Murdoch

Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks so much for this advice. Would you advise turning it regularly also?

6. pete

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,359
    Well, not turning, no.
    They orientate themselves to the direction that the light is coming from, but once the leaves and stalks harden they cant move.
    Being a climber they really need a pole or something to attach to, they make really big aerial roots that you can direct back down into the pot, but they are really for support.

I've just started one off that is a cutting from a large one I had. it gives some idea of how they grow in good light.
    Just formed its first adult leaf.
    DSC00121.JPG DSC00122.JPG

You can see the distance between leaf stalks and the aerial roots going back into the pot.

7. Alex Murdoch

Ratings:
    +7
    Wow @pete what a beauty! So you don't have a moss pole or is it quite a small one? Been resisting getting one as I prefer the look of them if they're not growing straight up - but of course want to do what's best for her!
    Ps sorry for delay replying - I thought had pressed send.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

Retired
      Ratings:
      +84,359
      It's in my conservatory and it will just attach itself to the wall eventually, at the moment I'm just turning aerial roots down into the pot.
      If allowed to attach to a wall it will not come away cleanly from the wall so probably not a good idea for inside the house.

They are climbers so will not stay as a bushy plant.

• Alex Murdoch

Ratings:
      +7
      Thanks @pete - we're going to move her a few feet closer to light. Thanks for advice - have a few aerial roots which have tucked back into pot - good to know that is right thing to do.

• Like Like x 1