1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

More greetings from the South Coast...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mybrainhurts, Feb 27, 2008.

1. mybrainhurts

mybrainhurts Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,

I'm just outside Brighton and moved into my bungalow last July after several years of living in shared houses and rented flats (thus knowing virtually nothing about gardening).

I need to get my garden into some semblance of shape, as it appears to have had nothing done to it, other than a bit of lawn mowing, since the property was built in the early 80's. The lack of previous TLC combined with my lack of knowledge could be a recipe for disaster, so I'm going to need all the help I can get! [​IMG]

My parents have a large garden which they landscaped themselves and which my Mum keeps really nicely, so I can pick her brains a bit, but they live 200 miles away, so sadly I can't get her round too often for any hands on assistance!

I've already made a start on replacing the narrow, higgldy piggldy (laid directly onto mud!) patio with a proper split level effort. This should be finished in the next few weeks. Have also laid a concrete base and errected a garden shed, as well as having the low fencing replaced at the rear with a decent 6ft one to add some privacy.

I'll try and post some pictures later, when I get a chance to host them online, but in the meantime, prepare yourselves for a barrage of dumb questions. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hi MBH and welcome to the site. Feel free to ask away, It`s what we are all here, to teach and be tought.

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,410
  4. mybrainhurts

Ratings:
    +0
    Some pictures, as promised...

Here's the back garden when we moved in:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the front:
    [​IMG]

Shed base goes down:

[​IMG]

Work in progress in the back garden:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New fencing:
    [​IMG]

5. mybrainhurts

Ratings:
    +0
    Not forgetting the bird table!
    [​IMG]

The only thing I've done at the front so far is to put up some hanging baskets:
    [​IMG]

I'll post some threads with specific questions, but meantime, any comments or suggestions welcome!

6. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,805
    Hi MBH A warm welcome to GC your garden is looking good the Work is great Keep us posted. [​IMG]

7. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Welcome to gc mbh looking good so far with the hard landscaping.

8. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [​IMG] Mybrainhurts....what a painful name! :D

Your new garden doesn't look anywhere near as bad as you first stated, you have a lovely blank canvas to build on and you are already doing so very well.

I'm sure in no time at all you will be able to sit back and relax in your garden with a very pleased look on your face...but remember no matter how much work there is to tend to in your garden once you have the gardening bug you will always find something that just needs to be attended to and sometimes something only you can see.

Don't worry about the fact your green-fingered mum lives so far away obviously her genes run through your veins as it clearly shows and if you should ever want some help or advice there is always a big bunch of friendly people on here more than willing to help you out. [​IMG] Hel.xxx.

9. intermiplants

intermiplants Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    mybrainhurts :D ;) welcome and enjoy G.C.
    [​IMG]

10. mybrainhurts

Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG] Hi everyone, and thank you for such a warm welcome!

11. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi MBH, welcome to the forum. Looks as if you're going all out to be ready for the long hot summer that's overdue! [​IMG]

Interesting, I can't see your first two pics when I initially open your thread but when I click on your 'see my intro thread here' link, I can see them. [​IMG]

12. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi mbh and welcome to GC.