1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

more questions! american land cress and rosemary ones this time!

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by ellenw, Jun 11, 2008.

1. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hello! me again!

Just took a little tour around my mini veg patch and have yet more questions! :o

Firstly my american land cress...
    One of the leaves has got some really regular little holes :confused: any idea what they are and should I be worried? (pic below) They just seem so regular

And now my rosemary..
    I have this little rosemary bush in a container, its been there a couple of years and always been pretty good. This year it was lush green and vibrant and had some loevly flowers on it a few weeks back but it seems to be paling away now and ive never noticed this before (mind you I never paid as much attention to my garden as I am now!). The leaves seems to be turning a yellow rusty colour.. any ideas?? (again pictures below)

Thank you!!!

the land cress,
    [​IMG]

the rosemary:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    The Land Cress not sure what's done that but I would dispose of that leaf and fast............it could be anything but if it is on the leaf it's always safest to get shot of it straight away. The rest looks very healthy ............... Now your rosemary..........it could be many things, drieness, too much wet, you name it. See what the soil is like........is it very dry? is it very wet? Try to change whatever the soil feels like if it is in excess. Clip off the yellowing bits below the joints where they have failed and make sure you dispose of the clippings away from the plant.........it is just precautionery. Once you have done that monitor it and let us know how it goes. We need to know more about the conditions it is experiencing.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Ellen, with the land cress it could be caused by flea beetle. With the Rosemary I would prune it to encourage new growth, and also feed it with something like Liquid Growmore or Phostrogen.

4. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ill check rosemary and will let u know how get on.
    david, if its a flea beetle what should i do?
    thx!

5. cauliflower ears

cauliflower ears Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Why does my land cress taste so bitter? Nothing like the nice peppery taste of water cress!

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Ellen, flea beetle don`t like wet soil, so make sure the area around the cress is always moist. Cauli, not being a cress person, I cannot answer that, sorry.:)

7. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Ellen

I agree with Dai, those holes look like flea beetle's work. Commercial growers hate flea beetle because it makes their crops look unsightly (and unsaleable) but I don't think it actually kills full grown plants.

Is your rosemary the prostrate form, by any chance? I've found it to be rather weedy compared with the common variety.

Cauli

I think that's just the way land cress is, particularly if it's suffered any dry spells recently.

8. ellenw

ellenw Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thx. ill try and keep the area around cress "wetter" then!
    As for the rosemary, I have no idea what form it is!??
    Thx