1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

More weeds than grass!

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Hobbitmum, Apr 3, 2021.

1. Hobbitmum

Hobbitmum Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I am new here and would really appreciate some advice. I’ve always loved the idea of having a lovely garden but time has always been a barrier. Good things do come from lockdown - namely slowing down and more weekends spent at home which allowed me to do lots in the garden last year and for the first time ever have relatively weed free beds, lots of colour and something to feel proud of. This year, having master (mostly), the art of telling a weed from a plant, I am turning my attention to the grass. It is horrendous. There is a lot of moss, a lot of clover and masses of dandelions. Last year we tried scarifying it and used (a rubbish) dandelion weeding tool which left 100’s of hole in the lawn but clearly still doesn’t get the root as they are back in force, this year.

Can anyone please recommend what we can do, are there any treatments out there worth the money, that actually do as they say on the tin and kills the stuff you don’t want and leaves the grass alone?

Also, I need a good patio weed killer - again a recommendation for one that actually works would be much appreciated.

many thanks!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,497
      For weeds on the lawn you'll need a specific LAWN weed killer it must say lawn on the bottle , it can be bought from B&M and others or Ebay something like weedol or similar will do . You'll need a sprayer and depending on the size of your lawn will dictate on the size of the sprayer , after the first or 2nd treatment is done I use just a little hand sprayer and do spot treatments no need to spray the whole lawn every time.

for the patio it just a normal weedkiller like resolver , they all work the problem is the weeds have probably reseeded back into the cracks of the patio , its a never ending chore unless the cracks or repointed .

You can use a 4-1 but I don't personally recommend them , they do burn the moss turning it black and feed the grass which normally results in surge growth and they are rubbish at treating weeds they normally only get half , if you do get more than half the weeds you've probably overdosed the lawn possibly burning the lawn or tending to grass that grows like crazy its not an easy thing to apply correctly .

Its up to you which way you'd like to tackle the problem , the 4-1 is more convenient if you can apply it right, but doing the jobs separately is more effective in my experience.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +44,537
        Hello and welcome to GC forums
        :sign0016:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,203
          Agree with @Perki , using liquid weedkiller like Weedol is best, but do follow the instructions and do not overdose in the hope it will work better.
          After dosing give it several days , up to a week, before mowing again as you will see the weeds start to 'stand up' as the Weedol is taking effect.

Also avoid the 1ltr hand sprayer bottles of Lawn Spot Weedkillers as again its so easy to burn the grass with them.

Regular cutting also helps keep down the weeds, but avoid the typical catch of mowing to low, much better to cut a bit higher.

You can get Weedol and Resolva from many places including Wilko, any of the Resolva range should work well.

000528.jpg 000531.jpg 000530.jpg

• Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,374