1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moroccan Mint advice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sogni verdi, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
    Ratings:
    +104
    I purchased 3 Moroccan mint plants about 3 years ago, following a trip to the country and consuming copious amounts of the delicious tea. However, i have really struggled to get a good harvest since the first year.
    As a background, i have them in terracotta pots with some gravel at the base (i am aware of mint's growing habits, hence the pots). I would water them as and when the soil seemed dry, but apart from an odd feed have done little else with them. At the end of the growing season, when looking untidy, i have cut them right back. The pots tend to be in a sunny position and relatively sheltered from the wind
    Last year i was very disappointed with how little Moroccan tea i was able to make, having found a fantastic recipe which i found to taste very authentic.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,519
    Is Moroccan mint an actual mint plant, I've not come across it, but if it is I would suggest repotting, it's quite a hungry plant and soon uses up nutrients in a container.
    Normal mint also needs lots of water. .

• Like Like x 1
    • Sogni verdi

Sogni verdi Gardener

Delivery driver
      Ratings:
      +104
      I believe Mentha Spicata var Crispa is its actual variety name. I will look to repot it and see how it does. Thank you @pete .

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,994
      I grow a few different mints, I think Moroccan is the best for tea for my taste. Mine are in pots sunk into the ground. In the spring I take them out the pot and split into 4 with a spade. Put a quarter back into the same pot with fresh compost. You get another 3 pots. It sounds harsh but they seem to appreciate it.

I bring all my pots into a greenhouse overwinter, they keep producing until the new year. Mine are all bedraggled now waiting for warmer weather.

• Informative Informative x 3