Moss killer

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by hailbopp, Sep 24, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +650
    Wondering if someone can help. I am needing to remove a thick layer of moss off a sand surface. The area is approximately 1000 sq mtrs. The run off from the area will get into contact with grass( should be fine if I use Sulphate of Iron?) which also has a shedload of moss in it! and various shrubs, ok?
    I do not know if I am better to get dry Sulphate of Iron or a dilution and how much to do the area? Also is there anything else that might be better than Sulphate of Iron? The area is also covered in small pieces of rubber but apart from that there is nothing to consider re being affected by anything applied to the area. Hope someone can advise me. Thanks.
    86E8E127-B0E2-406C-B964-388ED02998FE.jpeg

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    Moss Killer doesn't technically kill the moss it just burns the top layers ( top 20-25mm give or take ), depending on how deep the moss is its will still be alive underneath . Even with using iron sulphate and the moss is blackened it will still need removing.

Remove as much moss as you can now with a scarifier / rake and apply a moss killer after to burn off the rest of the moss or use a autumn lawn feed . Over seed in spring, its will probably be to late to overseed in Scotland after using iron sulphate .

Looking at the picture its looks like a major lawn job more a less redoing the lawn job. You could skip the moss killing ( do in spring instead ) and over seed after scarifying if you want to establish a lawn as soon as possible . Moss killer and grass seed can't be put down at the same time, need around 1to2 week after moss killer to overseed be to far into October for grass seed to germinate .

3. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +650
    Thank you Perki. Sorry I may not have been clear. The area is not a lawn it is a sand and rubber arena. It has not been used for many year so Moss and Algae have taken up residence. The arena is to used again and I thought it best to try and kill the moss etc before the arena is used again. There are field drains under the arena and maybe if the moss is not killed it will eventually clog the drains maybe? I could maybe hire a scarifier and lift the moss in the hope it dries out? How deep does a scarifier go as there is a teram under about 6 inches of silica sand and aircraft tyre rubber?

4. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    I see. Scarfliers are adjustable but I wouldn't use one and such a surface it will just make more mess. Its sounds like a rake job and shake off the rubber bits off. The moss will still be there if moss killer is applied it will just be a different colour so still will require removing.

• Like Like x 2