1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moss & Weed Killer vs Seeds & Fertiliser

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by JohnBarleycorn, Mar 28, 2007.

1. JohnBarleycorn

JohnBarleycorn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it's best to apply the moss & weed killer before or after reseeding a lawn?

I've taken over a new garden where the lawn could do with some sprucing up. Plenty of moss and weeds, together with a few bare patches. I have some Evergreen moss & weed killer, together with a "lawn repair kit" containing seeds & fertiliser. I can't decide whether to kill the moss & weeds first, then reseed (to fill in any gaps left by the dead stuff), or reseed first then apply the killer (in which case I'll presumably still be left with areas that need reseeding again).

Any hints for a first time gardener much appreciated!

JB.

2. Jimbo

Jimbo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Weed and feed first, after 3 to 4 days make sure its had a good water.

Next give the lawn a good rake with a springboxs rake or hire a scarifier.

One question is it just Moss and weed killer or is it a weed and feed treatment. If it the latter you should not need the fertiliser in the seed kit.

One thing I would do is mix the seed with some good lawn dressing. [​IMG]

3. Jimbo

Jimbo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  4. JohnBarleycorn

JohnBarleycorn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. I have moss & weed killer (without feed), plus a box of seed with feed. Do you think I should just do both treatments in one day?

Thanks for any tips,
    JB.

5. Jimbo

Jimbo Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No do the Moss killer then just over a week or so put down the seed and feed.