1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mostly dead young box bush - start again or keep going with it?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Barders, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
    +153
    Hi Lovelies,

This time last year I planted 17 bare root box plants to shield off an area of unsightly paving. It said to water them regularly in the first year and I did, probably WAY too much.

Most have started to bush out a bit now, but one look mostly dead, but there are some new shoots on one side (photo attached.).

Last year I got some lovely advice on here to give them an Epsom Salts bath, which I did and have done again this weekend, I will now leave them alone!

BUT should I:
    1. Just cut my loses with the mostly dead one and dig it up?
    2. Cut the dead bits off and hope it grows again?
    3. Just leave the poor thing alone?
    Many thanks in advance and I hope you are all having a nice weekend in the garden :cool:

IMG_1941.JPG IMG_1942.JPG

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Mine get patches like that, and some of them just curl up their toes in the first few years. That one looks like it has new growth at the bottom? I'd cut it back to there.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Barders

Barders Gardener

Ratings:
      +153
      Thank you for coming to the rescue again Kristen. That sounds sensible, I will give it a good cut today and fingers crossed the new shoots would have liked their Epsom Bath wash yesterday and continue to grow.

Thank you again for your help, much appreciated :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1