Mountain Ash / Sorbus Aucuparia - replanting from pot to garden question.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by mcgon1979, Mar 12, 2014.

1. mcgon1979

mcgon1979 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I'm planning on getting this potted tree (Rowan / Mountain Ash / Sorbus Aucuparia) from a friend and replanting it in my own garden.
    I have a fine spot for it with excellent soil.

I'm just wondering should I consider pruning off the side branching and plant it with the main stem upright, or should I leave it as is with the Y split? Are there any advantages or disadvantages to either action? Anything else I should consider? Distance from wall? Aftercare etc? I'm a novice in this area and only recently acquired a garden.

Here are two photos. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

2. mcgon1979

Ratings:
    +1
    Two images attached. Thanks 12345.jpg 123456.jpg

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,310
    Welcome to GC. :) With any new tree you have to consider it's overall height and root spread. In ten to twenty years time this particular tree could be between 15 and 20 metres high and the root spread considerable, it's crown spread could also take up a good part of your garden and take away light. That said, if I haven't already put you off, I would leave the lower branch attached for the time being as it may or may not produce more lower branches. If you remove it the tree will look top heavy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • mcgon1979

Ratings:
      +1
      Hi Sheal. Many thanks for your reply. I've attached since other pictures to explain the background. By the way, your post certainly hasn't put me off. :)
      In the first picture you can see there was Eucalyptus tree. Unfortunately it became loose after a storm and I was easily able to move by pushing it. It was a hazard so had to be removed before it fell down in any fresh winds. I removed it myself and the accompanying root system.
      This left a gap between the two wall supports, where I marked with an x. Just behind the two bushes. I don't know any names yet as I'm an amateur who inherited this nature garden when I bought the house recently. This wall is north facing so I'm not concerned about blocking any sunlight as none comes directly from this direction. I wonder though is there room for this tree now. 1m from wall just behind bushes? Could I prune it to keep it a manageable size as it grows? Thanks for advice.

Attached Files:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      I wouldn't plant the tree that close to the wall as it's likely to have a spread of up to 8 metres, below is how it could possibly look in maturity. Yes, you could prune it, but I personally feel that ruins the look of the tree, it's your choice of course. On the other hand if you go ahead and plant it you may have to remove it in years to come.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sor...pedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSorbus_aucuparia;1600;1200

• mcgon1979

Ratings:
      +1
      An 8m spread certainly won't do. :) I just wanted to replace the fallen eucalyptus with something other than a bush or hedge. Cover the bare wall etc. What tree genus would you recommend for that placement? It's quite windy so replacing the shallow root eucalyptus isn't an option really. I suppose I was going to plant the mountain ash there as it will be recycled otherwise. It's too big for the pot it's in. I could always plant it for a year or two and see how it goes, but as you say, it may need to be removed. What would be more suitable in your opinion? I guess something more compact with less spread?

• mcgon1979

Ratings:
      +1
      Interestingly, I notice a very young oak tree planted here on the right of attached image. I've seen how big they can get. Definitely will need to be moved in time. Might be better now before it grows to big.

Attached Files:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,310
      If you like Sorbus, then there are plenty of others to choose from without the spread of the one you have at present. I planted Sorbus Vilmorinii two years ago, the berries on that change colour as the season progresses. Of the more common trees you there's also Prunus and Malus and some varieties have a more upright growth. Our member @Kristen has more knowledge of trees and may be able to help you.

An oak tree is not good for a small garden. I had three at the end of a previous large garden and they were at least 60ft high when I moved out.

I will be logging out shortly, so perhaps we can continue tomorrow. :)

I've tagged Kristen, so hopefully he will be along to help you at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • mcgon1979

Ratings:
        +1
        Many thanks for all of your advice Sheal. I'll consider a less broad tree, or perhaps try this one for a year or two and see how it goes. If it grows too broad too quickly I will remove it. I see some examples of the type which seem to have grown over 1.5m high before they begin to spread into the crown. Some have quite narrow crowns and some have no height and hugely broad crowns. The wall might not have too much of an impact in that case of a narrow one with good trunk length.
        Regardless, I appreciate all of your advice,(its an education), and might consider something more narrow for the location. Just seemed a shame to turn down this tree which is too big for the pot and will most likely end up in green recycle.

• Like Like x 1
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,310
          Do you know what Guerilla gardening is?

• mcgon1979

Ratings:
          +1
          I do now. ;)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,310
          Well, it seems a shame to green recycle the tree, I was thinking more of recycling it somewhere green! :)

• Like Like x 1