1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mountfield 414 not starting

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by stitch666, Sep 19, 2020.

1. stitch666

stitch666 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I have a Mountfield 414 which I cannot get started. It has stood still for about 1 month. When I got it out the shed I eventually got it started after many pulls (10-20) and it run for a second and cut out. Now it doesn't want to start at all. I pull the cord and it doesnt even feel as if it is trying. I am not very mechanical minded, however I have checked the spark plug. It was a bit dirty and had build up at the end so I cleaned it and checked for spark and could see spark so I am assuming that is okay. I have taken off the carb. Checked it over, it was very clean but I cleaned it anyway. I then refitted and with the air filter off I looked in the carb whilst using the red prime button and could see a tiny bit of petrol being squirted out so that seems to be working. When I unscrew the bottom of the carb with the fuel pipe connected fuel flows so it seems there is no problem from the tank to the carb.

I am not sure where else I should be looking? I have noticed that the underside of the whole machine seems quite badly corroded as it is pitted white. If I try to turn the flywheel assembly by hand (obviously with spark plug out and brake off) then I notice I can turn it, then hit a massive amount of friction for a bit and then can turn it again. I am not sure if this is normal. Same as if I try to spin the blade by hand, I hit a massive amount of resistance. Again, not sure if normal.

I have ordered a new spark plug just so I can definitely rule that out. I have also ordered an air spray to make sure I really blow out all the carb to double check that is okay. The petrol running out looks nice and clean (very slight yellow tinge). The oil seems to be at the right level.

Hopefully someone can offer me some advice with this. If so thanks in advance.

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,503
    Welcome to GC :sign0016:

Was it running OK before this? Any issues with it at all (lumpy running/smoking)? The fuel itself would be the very first place I would be looking at - modern petrol does not stand for long at all before it starts to sour, so it could be worth draining it out and putting fresh in.

I'd also suggest spinning it over with the spark plug out - see if anything gets chucked out of the cylinder (unlikely, but you never know) and you are on the right track with the spark plug; it was mentioned on another thread in recent days that they are not built to the same quality that they used to be

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,675
      My mower has always been a problem to start especially when hot.
      I bought a small bottle of something called petrol enhancer from B&Q.

Seems to have made quite a difference, but I dont know what it is.

• Informative Informative x 1