Mouse problems

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by Claire75, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wondering if any IT wizards might be able to give me a hand please?

I'm having trouble with the mouse on my laptop. Every few days it freezes, and when I shut the computer down I get the dreaded "blue screen of death". I am assuming it's a problem with the driver but I don't really know what to do about it. I don't have problems with other things using the USB ports, or not that I've noticed.

In case it helps, it's a Cypress USB optical mouse (bought from argos because my boss is a cheapskate) on the back it says super ergo optical mouse.

Or, should I just give up and get a decent mouse myself and keep it when the contract with this company finishes? If I do this, what would you recommend? I don't have a serial port so it would have to be another USB mouse.

2. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    try another usb mouse....i assume your using windows xp home edition?

or you could unplug mouse and try a different usb port.

let me know what happens [​IMG]

3. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I have XP professional - does it make a difference?
    Thanks for the advice [​IMG] I'll try and get hold of another one to try.
    Also going to try reinstalling the mouse driver from the disk first I think.

4. PCMedic

PCMedic Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    claire....don't install the mouse driver....that may be what is causing the problem........the computer will install the default driver for you mouse. If you have the mouse driver installed , unistall it and then just plug the mouse into the usb.

5. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Why is XP Pro so funny about that. I completely messed up - by using an installation disc to install a portable card reader. Nothing then worked, couldn't plug my camera in or anything. Took quite a bit of sorting out to get everything working again.

Shame the instructions on USB gizmos don't say not to use the disc.