1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moved into new house with lilac tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by gazdavtom, Jul 10, 2016.

1. gazdavtom

gazdavtom Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am completely new to gardening and have just inherited a garden with the following tree (see pics), which I have been told is a lilac. As you can see it is situated close to the border of my property and has had what appears to be some fairly heavy pruning. My guess is this was done due to the fact that a car park is on the other side of the fence and it was somehow interferring with one of the neighbours parked cars. Can someone please advise on what is best to do with the tree, should I keep it, and can it be restored to something more akin to a natural looking tree?

Many thanks in advance.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    Keep it if you can; lilacs are beautiful trees. It also gives you some privacy. It is close to the fence; maybe you could cut down the trunk that is closest to the fence seen in the first picture. That's what I would try first. It would be a shame to get rid of it altogether.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      Oh definitely keep it! It'd be a sin to cut down an established Lilac without at least attempting to whip it into shape......just think of the gorgeous flowers! Im no "tree whipping into shape expert" (thats a profession right?) but I'd clear away all that new foliage at the base and take off that stump against the fence and possibly that branch on the right thats sticking out away from the rest....then stand back and see how it looks :paladin:

Also id be down that garden centre like a shot! A clematis would look fantastic growing through that lilac :thumbsup:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        HB is right about removing the leaves at the base. Most lilacs are grafted and these shoots will be coming from the rootstock and will not flower and could eventually take over.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • gazdavtom

gazdavtom Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Thank you all for your helpful advice. Ok, so the consensus is keep it.

image.jpeg

This is how the tree looks from the right hand side. The stump that honeybunny is referring to is the part on the far right of the picture. As you can see it is substantial as it continues up and out of the image. It does seem as if I have two trees here. You can also see where it has been cut back at the point where it once crossed the fence. Can anyone tell me anymore about this type of tree and what to expect from it? Are the stumps likely to grow back, and if so, what is roughly the rate of growth?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
        • TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
          +247
          It's not a good looking specimen - if you want to keep it then I would be tempted to cut it down to just above fence height (especially the larger upright stems at the rear - they can go completely!) and watch it regrow. Regularly keep in check with trimming and it should bush out into something more respectable, manageable and enjoyable.