1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving a clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Char, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Char

Char Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a clematis (Niobe - I think it is called) in a 1/2 barrel which does well every year. I pruned it last autumn and it is beginning to grow quite vigorously now (about 25" so far). My problem is that the container is beginning to fall apart and I have to move the barrel anyway as we are having the patio relaid next week.

I would like to put it into a large trerracotta pot instead of the 1/2 barrel it is currently in. Will it severly affect the growth if I replant into another container now?

Any ideas on the easiest way to do this?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Water well (like "flood it"!) 4 hours or more before transplanting - so the soil will be moist when you come to move it.

Transplant removing as little of the soil from the root ball as you can.

Plant with a good quality compost - I would suggest a John Innes No 3 (i.e. soil based) type compost for a long term pot, rather than a peat-based compost

If its a big container I would put some well rotted muck, or home made compost, in the bottom - that will help hold the moisture well.

Perhaps add in some slow release fertiliser granules (the sort of thing sold for tubs and urns for the whole summer season). And maybe some water retaining gel in the bottom 1/2 of the compost (if you put it near the top it just rises to the surface and blows away ... or the birds eat it)

Make sure it is not allowed to dry out for the next couple of months (but don't flood it either). Give it a foliar feed if it looks unhappy over the next couple of months.

Should be fine. The fact it was recently cut back and has new foliage will help (compared to it being a large plant, or having only just been cut back)

3. Char

Char Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you so much Kristen! I will follow all your recommendations.

Off to the GC for John Innes No 3 and the water retaining gel. I hadn't realised that they rise to the surface. I'll keep that in mind for the hanging baskets this year too.

I love this forum. I am a new gardener, so thank you again for sharing your knowledge.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Don't forget to plant the clematis deep when you move it, burying the crown and covering with stones etc - they like their roots in shade.

5. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Good point - we have a slab or a slate over the roots of ours, to keel it cooler underneath.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I pile stones and pebbles that seem to forever appear in the garden around the base, or use bit of broken pots (although I try not to break pots on a regular basis!)

7. Char

Char Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your advice.
    I followed your instructions and the clematis is looking good so far.
    It has grown about an inch since it's major upheaval!