1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving and pruning roses

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Victoria Plum, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    We inherited some established roses, which are rather long and leggy, when we moved in last year.

Can I move them to another bed? If so when and how?

How severely can I cut them back to re shape them this year?

Thank you in advance.

2. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi pretty much as severeley as you want as long as they are not too old a d tierd tney will be fine. Method is up to uou take lots of soil with the root ball i take all soil off and cut roots and shoots back dig a big hole and mix LOTS of manure with back fill. You can do this any time when ground is not warelogged or frozen. I moved some in december two days before the hardest most prolonged frost here for twenty five years im vonfident they will be fine.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
  4. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,835
    Hi Jim &Vicki , I always prune mine before I move them but this is a purely personal choice,If the plant is dormant (and you don’t have to move the soil), grab the base of the plant and lift up while shaking the soil away from the roots.

For big plants, you may find that it is easier to grab a couple of large canes rather than the base. For really big plants, you may want your some help with the lifting and shaking. Roots that were not cut will either break or pull out of the soil. If you have a particularly large root that's too stubborn to break or pull free, get the other person to lift the plant as far as it will go while you work to cut the root with your spade or a pair of Secateurs.:)

One of the keys to preventing transplant shock is to balance the length of the canes with the length of the roots. Prune the canes so that they are the same length as the roots. It does not matter if your plant is 4’ tall — if you pulled up 12” of roots, then the canes need to be pruned back to 12”. The danger with having canes that are much longer than the roots is that an over-abundance of new leaves will not be fed by newly emerging roots. Cutting the canes back will give the roots a chance to establish themselves before the leaves get really thirst :)

It's important that the canes not be encouraged to grow before the roots can get re-established. So, pull off all leaves that may be lingering on the canes. This will slow down photosynthesis and help keep valuable moisture in the canes.:)
    I only keep as much soil around the roots when I move a Rose out of its Dormant state ,Hope this is of some help:)

5. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    :gnthb: Fantastic, thanks chaps!

So... dig up the rose, check root size and prune top and roots to match. Don't worry about moving soil. And replant in correct position.

About right?

6. theplantman

theplantman Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
  7. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43