1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving more toward perennial/herbaceous planting

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,578
    This year has been an utter disaster in gardening terms, with us getting off to such a bad start that we basically abandoned growing anything annual around mid-May. Add to that fact that my health is not fantastic, and I have days (like today for example) where I am in considerable pain, which knocks the energy right out of me), so I am thinking of increasing the amount of perennial and/or herbaceous plants to reduce the amount that I am bringing on from seed each year.

I still want to do some annual stuff from seed, for baskets and planters etc, just not as much.

My soil is clay-like, but I have improved it with lots of organic material over the years. I already have some hardy fucshias, and wouldn't object to a couple more, and I do like a nice scented rose (although I would be the first to admit that I am nowhere near as skilled as some of our resident experts here); I love lupins, but seem unable to get them to last more than one year, and I have a soft spot for mallows -- I have three lavatera bushes, but they have succumbed to some sort of ailment or damage this year and are all but dead, so will be coming out. If I can, I would like to add a bit of all year interest, as currently my garden is pretty much a mess over winter.

So ladies and gents, any advice/suggestions for plants I should consider and any special planting methods that are required?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,140
    Hardy Salvias spring to mind, mine have been flowering non-stop since the spring, they can be a bit tender but if you get away with hardy fuchsias then they will be OK.

Hebe is even easier and good for year round interest.

I wouldn't be without Hellebores for winter/spring - dead easy, and very hardy.

Hardy geraniums are another easy one, I've got Rozanne which again flowers all summer and doesn't self seed all over the place.

I have lots of different Euphorbias in my garden, I love them for spring colour.

Also consider bulbs, daffs are cheap and easy and carefully picked varieties will give you flowers over a couple of months.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +49,578
      Thanks John :)

My weather will be pretty similar to yours as you know, so I should get away with anything that you have growing. I am pretty sure that Rozanne is the hardy geranium that I have next to the greenhouse - will it propagate from cuttings?

The Hellebores look interesting too - Crocus have a few nice varieties on their website (if a little expensive); I'm not too sure about Euphorbias though - are they not toxic/skin irritant? Just thinking ahead with regard to our dog and the potential for visitors with kids...

I do need to get new daffs at some point (mine are really old, and really tired looking), and wondered about tulips also. Would tulips grow up through grass as daffs do?

• Like Like x 1
      • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,830
        You say you have 'clay like' soil.....I guess that means clay? Most of my gardening experience has been on clay soils and I find shrubs and perennials do better on clay than annuals. Roses; I like the shrub roses, do well and look good in mixed borders. Herbs like marjoram and rosemary do well and stay green through the winter with the rosemary flowering early. Japanese anemones, lilly of the valley, cranesbill geraniums, sedums, daffodils, the perennial sweet pea are a few things that are easy on improved clay.

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,578
          I am on the edge of London, so I assume that it is London Clay - bit darker in colour than I expected clay to be, but it is definitely heavy and goes rock hard in really dry spells.

I must admit that I hadn't considered herbs - sound like a good idea :) I love the smell of Lily of the Valley, but worry that it is a bit of a thug? Never heard of a perennial sweet pea before (I shall Google that one!) thank you :)

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,140
          Good advice here from shiney: http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/propagating-hardy-geraniums-easy-peasy.44593/

Yes they leak a white sap if you break the stem which is a skin irritant to some people, it doesn't seem to affect me much - no worse than weeding dandelions.

I think some varieties will naturalise, it's not something I've got experience of though - all mine are in borders.

• Like Like x 2
          • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,830
            Lathyrus latifolia, aka everlasting pea, grows about 1.5m and is pink/purple.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
              Ratings:
              +6,543
              image.jpeg Here you go FC the everlasting sweet pea:smile:

• Like Like x 1
              • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +14,334
                Lavatera isn't as good as it's cracked up to be, FC, they do seem to go tatty and die off after a while. What about Hibiscus syriacus? Makes a good, upright shrub with blue, pink or white, single or double flowers, some with a red or purple blotch in the middle. They self-sow here so I could send you some seedlings. They should establish OK as young plants but will flower at a young age too:)

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  If of any use. I was completely floundering with my garden due to it being far too big and I'm getting far too old! Took the plunge 3 years ago and laid down teram and bark chip . Ok a beautifully weeded bare soiled bed is far superior BUT it does make an enormonus difference to the time I spend weeding. Since laying the teram I have been able to really enjoy my garden again rather than it being a total battle. I even have enough time/ energy to increase my veg growing. Obviously you can't really use this method with annuals/herbaceous but it works very well on shrub beds. I still have huge herbaceous beds,the trick with them is to close plant,usually the plants will get going before the weeds do...no bare soil is key. Once the herbaceous gets going you can sort of let it get on with it. Yes dead heading/cutting back should (accent on the should! be done) but life can be a bit short to carry this out religiously:). I have God knows how many different types of hardy Geraniums, which are great ground cover plants. If you pm me I will attempt to identify which ones I have and could send you some bare rooted at the end of the season.They don't weigh much so all I'd ask for would be the postage which wouldn't be much. I don't have Roseanne.......ridiculously expensive to buy when others are all but as good IMO but do have Johnsons Blue which is very similar. Also have a really pretty double mauve with good foliage,a terrific little doer.
                  I always remember my late Father (great Rose grower) warning me to never let ones garden become a chore. Yes ok you do need to work hard to make it nice but it must never become a Mill stone at which point the enjoyment flies out the window.
                  Personally because I have about 2 acres of garden,I grow zero annuals and only grow a few non hardy Geraniums for tubs etc (stored over winter and restarted in the Spring......simples and CHEAP!). If you are careful about what you grow and how it can cut down the maintanence considerably.

• Like Like x 5
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23,089
                    Tuberous Iris provide year round "interest" and are quite tolerant of clay. Iris japonica is pretty freely available.................
                    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

As already suggested the shrubby Salvia such as S.microphylla and the Salvia x jamensis cultivars should do well..................
                    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A bit more exotic but still hardy is Aloe striatula..............
                    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
                    • Informative Informative x 1
                    • PrunusB95

PrunusB95 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +19
                      Alyone Huegelii, 2 metre shrub with beautiful lilac flowers, will bloom continuously for several months during spring/summer, full sun, still hardy (in the south) so needs to be in a sheltered position.

Perovska blue spire?

I just saw at Homebase yesterday, they still sell some Hibiscus Syriacus for £6

• Like Like x 3
                      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +16,246
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                          +0
                          For flowers in Autumn you could go for Solidago ( Golden Rod ), Aster ( Michaelmas Daisy ) and Anemone Japonica ( Japanese Anemones ).

• Like Like x 2
                          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,578
                            Thanks @HarryS :) - I will take a look at them later - must admit I hadn't even thought about alliums

@Anthony Rogers I always thought that Michaelmas Daisies were biennials? Good suggestion though even if they are, as I have always liked them